Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I got some 25-06 hand loads recently from an acquaintance. 100 gr poly tipped bullets in nickle brass casings. I noticed that so

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I got some 25-06 hand loads recently from an acquaintance. 100 gr poly tipped bullets in nickle brass casings. I noticed that so

I got some 25-06 hand loads recently from an acquaintance. 100 gr poly tipped bullets in nickle brass casings. I noticed that some of the casings are cracked at the neck after the shot. Any ideas of why? I'm not in the reloading game yet, but plan to start. This looks like a study on what not to do. Any advice is appreciated.

Yeh,we never use nickle brass anymore because it always splits. I would go for pitching the nickle (after you shoot all of it.) And then replace it with brass brass.

Comment

The cases have probably been reloaded/resized many times and the necks have become work hardened. Expansion upon firing cracked the hardened brass. Knowing the history of the brass would help tell more of thier story. Annealing brass cartridge cases will return the brass to its original pliable state. Check out the link for more info. The cracked cases are now trash.

http://www.6mmbr.com/annealing.html

http://www.varmintal.com/arelo.htm

Comment

Beekeeper hit the nail on the head. That is most likely your problem. Like hjohn said go with brass after your inventory. It will still crack but you should be able to get a longer life from the brass.

Comment

Great info! Thanks a million. Those sites you sent, Beekeeper, are great ones.

Comment

Tried nickel brass in a 7mm Rem mag and it threw bullets like a seed spreader. Never used them again. I always anneal new cases before using. Otherwise sometimes brand new (Remchester) cases will split. Also I check length, primer pocket uniformity and ream the inside of the primer hole with a little tool I got at midway.

Comment

I think your problem lies in your statement you got handloads from a friend. Don't do that. Load your own or buy factory. You don't know what was stuffed in those cartridges or what the casings went thru. Your rifle is different than his.

Comment

I decided it would be prudent to come back and tell you not to shoot somebody else' handloads but I see Jim already did it.

Comment

Yeah first nickel sucks, way to brittle. Secondly BeeKeeper hit it, reloaded/resized to many times, too much stress on the neck.

Comment

Agreed with Beekeeper answer above and A + 1 for you sir!!!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad