Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hey guys, im looking into buying a new rifle. I've got about 3 different guns to decide from. a Ruger M77 Hawkeye. a Kimber rifl

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hey guys, im looking into buying a new rifle. I've got about 3 different guns to decide from. a Ruger M77 Hawkeye. a Kimber rifl

Hey guys, im looking into buying a new rifle. I've got about 3 different guns to decide from. a Ruger M77 Hawkeye. a Kimber rifle (haven't decided which model). or a Benelli R1 rifle. can you guys give me some input on which one you think i should be getting. BTW i'm looking into a .25-06 so if you're going to post a model of a gun, it'd help if they made it in the 25-06 lol. thanks guys

I would peersonally go with the ruger m77 hawkeye, ni think that it is a pretty good rifle

Comment

Reid, You already know how I feel on that. Ruger fit and finish isn't par with Kimber in my experiance. Isn't the R-1 a semi-auto? If you ever think you might want to reload do not buy a semi-auto. There will be feeding problems.

Comment

Buy the Kimber 8400 if you're not worried about cost.

Comment

Wait Del. are you saying you think Ruger has better fit and finish than a Kimber? and yes the R1 is a semi-auto, and NO i do not reload my own shells. not on a semi i won't anyways. I haven't been able to look at a Kimber in real life, but i have seen Rugers. and they are nice

Comment

I'd go with a 30-06 over a 25-06 anyday. Much larger selection of bullet weights for all types of hunting plus you can find ammo anywhere. Savage rifles with the accutrigger are very hard to beat.

Comment

I do agree with what you're saying Walt. But i'm only 14 if you didn't know haha. And i'm planning on using my rifle for coyotes also. And a 30-06 is much too big for what I am wanting. the fact that i'm only 14 means that i can't own 5 different rifles at once. i kinda have to buy them myself. so i'm aiming at buying the most versatile caliber i can find. i can shoot whitetail, elk, and coyotes with a 25-06

Comment

Rephrasing Del, the Ruger is a nice rifle but the Kimber has much nicer fit and finish. They make beautiful rifles.

Since you are not reloading I suggest taking a look at production ammo availability. Sites like MidwayUSA, Natchez, and Midsouth make it easy to research products available from various manufacturers. You can also look at Cabela's and Bass Pro. If you understand bullets already then great. If not then researching the available bullet types will give you a better understanding of what each bullet and cartridge is capable of.

I hope you take up reloading someday. It'll make the most out of whatever caliber you choose.

Comment

The most versatile caliber you can find is the 30-06 Reid. You can use 180,190,200,220,250 grain bullets for elk, 150,165,180 grain bullets for deer and 125, all the way down to the 48 grain accelerater that moves out around 4000 feet per second for coyotes.If you don't believe me ask Mr.Cooper.

Comment

P.S. all that in one gun.

Comment

idk if i agree walt. i'm a strong believer in shot placement. not as much as the knockdown power. i don't think its necessary to shoot deer with such a large caliber. i like a smaller bullet. that's my own opinion, some people like to shoot deer and coyotes with a 300 win mag. that's their own business.

Comment

Hey Walt, 48 grain accelerator $UCK $$$ I'll take a Hornady 130 grain in a 30-06 any day for critters and deer!! Ya, 25-06 or 30-06 pending what you’re going after, LOL! That 250 grainer in any 30 cal is to heavy period!!! Been Dar and Shot Dat!

Mr. Jones, I don’t know your geographical location; pick the rifle you like best and this how you do it. First take the rifle and make darn sure it’s unloaded, better yet remove the bolt. Pick out an object in a safe direction and pretend you’re going to shoot it. Obtain the appropriate stance, close your eyes and shoulder the rifle as if you’re making a snap shot at something before it runs. How does it feel? do you have to reposition the butt of the gun because it’s a bet to long? and think about shooting it with a heavy jacket on to!! Don’t say to yourself I’ll make do, you’ll kick yourself in the butt, I guarantee it and it’s called buyer’s remorse!

As far as cartridge and you don’t plan to hunt Elk for awhile, I’ve owned a 300 Win Mag and sold it and bought a 25-06 and never regretted it. Later down the line if you decide for a heavier cartridge or think you need a heavier cartridge I’d go for the 30-06 as for a second rifle a 338 Win Mag is best. The 25-06 is like crossing a 22-250 with a 270 and if the time comes and you can’t get a second rifle, the 25-06 with a good 120 grain bullet like Nosler Partition or Barnes type bullet will do the trick. By the way, for Elk the 25-06 is the smallest recommended cartridge for Elk. In other words, IT’S NOT PUNK!!!

Being both long range High Power Competition Shooter (1000 yards service rifle open sights) and avid hunter, pick the rifle that fits and suits your fancy! And by all means, if you have to wait to save up the extra bucks to get it, it’s darn well worth it and don’t skimp on the scope!!! A Leopold or Sightron will do you a fine job!!!!

As one Gentleman once said,
                        Keep the barrel hot and the target full of holes!!!! !!!

Targets……………….UP!

Comment

Reid,

Sorry my earlier post was not clear. MLH explained what I was saying.

Walt is right about the 30-06. I have owned several of them. That said I still prefer the 25-06. I am confident that with a 115 grain Barnes triple X bullet thru his boiler room the biggest elk in North America will die a sudden death. However for an Elk only rifle the 30 or a 35 (see my earlier post) would be my choice. It's all a matter of trade offs. More power comes with more recoil.

Comment

PS

My 25-06 is a Remington 700CDL

Comment

thanks, but Clay would you recommend a Rem. 700 CDL or a Kimber Model 8400? Both in a 25-06

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad