Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I have a Remington .22 rifle, and it has Remington Nylon 66 printed on the bottom of the stock. I have called and wrote Remingt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have a Remington .22 rifle, and it has Remington Nylon 66 printed on the bottom of the stock. I have called and wrote Remingt

I have a Remington .22 rifle, and it has Remington Nylon 66 printed on the bottom of the stock. I have called and wrote Remington Arms for info on the gun, but to no avail. Can anybody give me any info on this gun. Is 66 the year it was made? How many were made, etc... Anything would be appreciated.

I wish I owned one, always thought they looked neat. Slightly over a million were made from 1959-1990.

Comment

i would think that it would be the year it was made

Comment

Nylon 66 is a type of DuPont thermoplastic (it melts). I believe the material name was just applied to the rifle.

Comment

I believe MLH is right, they are pretty sweet guns they made several different styles all in .22. Some have clips and some are tube fed. The only ones I've shot is one with a clip. In my opinion these rifles are one of the best .22 semi autos ever made, even better than a 10/22.

Comment

If you google search for "Remington nylon 66" a couple of links come up at wikianswers.com. A guy named John shows how to date the rifle and someone else goes over a bit on value. Searching on gunbroker.com will also give an idea of value (sometimes inflated).

Comment

You can even look back on this blog as several months ago, probably before Christmas, we had an in depth discussion on this particular rifle. Yes I wish I still had my brown one and my black one but in a weak moment let them go years ago. A strong case of guntrader's anxiety just hit me.

Comment

66 is the model number Remington assigned to it. There are other variants in the 66 variety including the 10C.

Comment

Those are great guns!!! One of my good friends owns one. He used this web site to get replacement parts and had good luck with them. www.e-gunparts.com

Comment

Here's a little article on the Remington Nylon 66 and the material it was made from, DuPont Zytel Nylon 101, a structural version of Nylon 66 (or as we sometimes wrote it 6/6 or 6-6) ...

http://www.americanrifleman.org/rifles_historical_Rem66.html

There's a few more references if you want to search for them. Make your own conclusions about where the name came from.

Comment

You win. This is a sweet, unstoppable gun. Don't let Petzal know. He'll try to steal it. He writes about them a lot, for a plastic auto .22.

Comment

MLH thanks for the link. I'm glad that I have held on to mine, my dad gave it to me so I'll never let it go. I have found out that it shoots better without a scope, haven't figured that one out yet but it is more accurite with one sights.

Comment

The Nylon 66 was introduced in 1959 and remained in production for 28 years. The Zytel stock was innovative, a departure from other autoloaders of the day. My brother bought one shortly after it appeared on the market, and it performed very reliably with .22LR ammunition. There were two variations I'd seen on the market: one in brown, another in black. I'm told there was a third (green) which I'd never seen, but I was admittedly busy and somewhat out of touch in the '60s. I've never disassembled this model, so I don't know anything about it internally. The Nylon 66 had a tubular magazine and fed from the buttstock. The Nylon 66 sold well, and they can still be found on the used market for approximately $150-175 or so, more if in excellent condition.

Comment

I have one with a 60 stamped on the bottom. Mine belonged to my grandfather. I was told he bought it in the late 60's, early 70's. I have been told that they are becoming a collector's item. I have no idea of the value though. Just for curiosity's sake I would like to know.

Comment

Awesome rifles. We have lots of info about them in our facebook group which is https://www.facebook.com/groups/NylonRifles/

IF any of you posting are interested in selling any nylon rifles, in ANY condition please let me know. I collect and restore them. Just look up TOMCASH on face book or [email protected]

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad