Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I read in a Chuck Hawkes article that the CZ Bobwhite (Huglu) uses a spray-on coating instead of chemical bluing, and that a blo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I read in a Chuck Hawkes article that the CZ Bobwhite (Huglu) uses a spray-on coating instead of chemical bluing, and that a blo

I read in a Chuck Hawkes article that the CZ Bobwhite (Huglu) uses a spray-on coating instead of chemical bluing, and that a blow torch was used to achieve the case hardening colors on the receiver. Has anyone experienced any issues with this?

MLH,

Tha review was written in 2005 and concerned a gun imported by Hatfield (now out of business) Hugli did make the guns. CZ says the guns now have a black chrome finish on the barrels. I have no expericence with the Bobwhite but the ringnecks in my experience are finished quite well. I don't doubt the "case hardening" is chemically done with a torch, most "commercial" finsishes of the type are. In anycase I have not seen nor experienced the barrel finish or "cased" finish rub off of the ring neck models.

I do know from talking with a CZ rep that they had Hugli meet or exceed a list of specs somewhat more demanding than the previous importers. Perhaps the shoddy finsh work led to the demise of Hatfield as the Hugli importer.

Comment

Thanks Beekeeper. That helps - I am considering a Bobwhite in 20ga for grouse. I had a 28ga a couple of years ago but for a very short time and didn't remember any issues. Still curious about the painted on finish - not sure if others use something similar.

Comment

I love the Ringneck in 28. Probably the closest I'll ever come to owning a "gentleman's" shotgun. Give CZ a call and ask them about the finish on the Bobwhite.

1 800 955-4486
        (913) 321-1811

Comment

Great answer Beekeeper and A + 1 for you sir!!!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• More on crawfishin' lightfoot lindsey grahm
            by crm3006
            Wow: Lindsey Graham Refuses to Issue Big Tech Subpoenas

Un-be-lievable.

Lindsey Graham swore up and down that he would
            Today, 05:22 PM
          • Reply to Rest Easy
            by FirstBubba
            "... I took your advice and blocked the slimy nine and the red rodent, ..."

Welcome! It's pretty sad to rant and rave on a blog...
            Today, 04:39 PM
          • Rest Easy
            by jhjimbo
            Rest easy 2nd amendment, you are safe now - for the time being....
            Yesterday, 08:55 PM
          • Reply to Rest Easy
            by 99explorer
            Even if the Democrats take the White House and the Senate, it will still take 60 Senate votes to kill the filibuster, because of the filibuster!
            Today, 03:02 PM
          • Reply to Rest Easy
            by jhjimbo
            They know IF Trump wins and holds the Senate and picks up some down ticket it will mean the end of the Dem party for at least ten years if not more....
            Today, 02:39 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
          Working...
          X