Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

how big is a 308. incomparsin to a 223.?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how big is a 308. incomparsin to a 223.?

how big is a 308. incomparsin to a 223.?

I would say the difference between a 30/30 and a .22 The .223 shoots faster than the .308, it also has a flatter trajectory. The .308 has way more nock down power than a .223 It has deeper penetration and makes a much bigger wound channel. They a very different calibers and rounds in general. This is the best I can do, hope it was helpful. You wouldn't want to hunt yotes with a .308 just the same as you wouldn't want to shoot a deer with a .223

Comment

the .223 generally shoots 55gr bullets, where the common load in a .308 are 150gr or 165gr. It's signifigantly larger, and is an effective big game caliber. The .223 is not, its a varmit caliber.

Comment

.308 can have bullets 3x times the weight and size of .223.

Comment

.85 inches bigger

Comment

sorry, .085 inches bigger

Comment

i have to disagree with you rabbitpolice well kinda. our M16A2 shoots .223 rounds. but our M240G shoots a 762 round (308 round)and shoots fully automatic. but for stopping power the 308 is definately better than the 223

Comment

What exactly are you disagreeing with usmcnate22? I said the .308 has way more stopping power than the .223. I would have some serious knowledge issues if I thought the .223 had more stopping power than the .308.

Comment

i have hunted deer with a .223 and believe me. if you can place the bullet in a relative area to the vitals. you will kill the deer. i disagree with you rabbitpolice, some people would want to shoot deer with a .223 and i can name a bunch.

Comment

I never met any one who hunts deer with a .223. In Ga it is the smallest gun you can hunt deer with legally. Every man is entitled to their opinion but I think it is WAY too small. All you have to do is miss one time and you have a gut shot deer that will suffer for days before it dies.

Comment

i think an .223 is way to small for deer and i happen to use a .308 i also dont think that a .243 is big enough for deer but that is just my opinion...

Comment

Buddyboy, The .243 is a great deer cartridge. I've witnessed deer literally knocked off their feet by the high velocity 100 gr. from a .243. That's about twice as heavy as the .223 bullet, with signifigantly more energy.

Comment

A .243 will kill a deer, so will a .223, but a .308 will do it better and faster. If the smaller cartridges are all you have, fine, use them. But if given a choice, take the .308. There is no reason to play the "how small of a gun can I get away with?" game. You have to get into the pretty big stuff before you're talking overkill for deer.

Comment

i guess i read what you wrote wrong rabbit

Comment

It is about an inch longer and half again as wide. It probably has about twice the recoil.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad