Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I am contemplating the purchase of a new Tikka T3 Hunter in either .243 or .270. I was looking for something in wood grain and t

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I am contemplating the purchase of a new Tikka T3 Hunter in either .243 or .270. I was looking for something in wood grain and t

I am contemplating the purchase of a new Tikka T3 Hunter in either .243 or .270. I was looking for something in wood grain and this seemed to be the best in its price range (I can find one locally for ~$550). Any comments or suggestions? The only reason I am considering .243 is that I don't have anything in that caliber and I already have a couple of .270s, .308s and .30-06s.

I had a T-3 in .270Win. It shot very well with factory ammo. Wood stock is definitely better than plastic. The plastic stock is hollow and made a lot of noise going through the woods. Some people don't care for the amount of plastic on the gun but if that doesn't bother you then go for it.

Comment

Like you i'm interested in a new caliber (for me) rifle. Personally i'm leaning towards a .257 rob., .25-06 or .260 rem.

Comment

I have one in .300 win mag. It shoots just fine but very light for this large of caliber. Something like a .243 would do just fine in the recoil department.

Inspect the stock before you purchase new or used as I've heard some of the stocks on Tikkas have hairline cracks.

Comment

I have a Tikka T3 Lite, Left hand in 300 WSM. Couldn't pass up the price. The guns have the smoothest bolt around. MLH is right about the plastic guns.

With the Tikka you get a Sako barrel guaranteed for one inch at 100 yards and a very good adjustable trigger. In wood they arre well balanced and handle well. I would go ahead and opt for the .270 as the guns are made on the long action lenght only. They use a different bolt stop for the short action cartridges and the clip is "filled" at the rear. If you were choosing the "Lite" version I would opt for the .243.

Comment

Shoot like a PRO and get'ya a 25-06 and reach out and touch something!

Comment

what r u hunting for

Comment

You probably already know Clay and I are big fans of the 25-06. It will do everything the various 6mm rds will do only better and with only slightly more kick. Compared to a 30-06 recoil is like a maiden's kiss.

On another note the Marlin XL7 is on sale at Cabela's for $279 this week.

Comment

OK Del and Clay, I'll be hunting primarily in Alabama where my shots will range from 75 - 200 yards (I just don't feel ethical trying anything longer). Why a .25-06 over the .243? The only thing this gun will ever be used for is whitetail. As I mentioned in my original question, I have plenty of other guns if I intend to hunt other, larger game. BTW, I got a XL7 last year in .270.

Comment

I have a Tikka T3 lite in .243 that I have owned for about 6 years. It shoots like a laser, sub moa groups at 100. I use it for varmints with 70 grain ballistic tips (shoots them a little better than the lighter faster 55grainers) and use it for deer and such with 100 grain corelockts. Tikka makes some great gus for the money, you won't go wrong with one from what I have seen. I would get the .243 if you also plan on varmint hunting with it and hunting deer, go with the .270 if you plan on taking larger game or just deer hunting.

Comment

I'd say go for it. Now. Go buy it now.

You seem to have your big game covered, so get the .243. You'll have a lot of fun with this gun in that caliber.

Comment

Agreed with Beekeeper answer above and A + 1 for you sir!!!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad