Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I was wanting to purchase a semi-auto deer rifle. A browning BAR was a nice idea, but a Saiga from Russia is much more affordabl

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I was wanting to purchase a semi-auto deer rifle. A browning BAR was a nice idea, but a Saiga from Russia is much more affordabl

I was wanting to purchase a semi-auto deer rifle. A browning BAR was a nice idea, but a Saiga from Russia is much more affordable. While choosing a caliber, the 270 and .308 were both enticing, but the 7.62x39 is so much more economic to shoot. My question is, with a good scope, how accurate can I be and what will my range be like? Also, does anyone have experience with Saiga rifles?

Its hard to turn down a good BAR. The only thing I don't care for is the clip, but they my favorite semi auto high power rifle. You still should be good out to 300 yds and caliber is more personal preference. I haven't been around in Saiga but I've messed with some Russian shotgun, my advice pay a little more.

Comment

Want cheap ammo or a ruined hunt? Go BAR 30-06 or better yet a Remington 700 bolt gun so you can really get the most of it. Your restricted to what I call gas gun loads that are moderate loads than the light magnums you can shoot in a good gun bolt! As for a scope? Take the scope you like and place it on something solid and will not move. Look thru it at 50 to 100 yards and move your head sideways, up and down and all around. Does the reticule seem to move off the point of aim, if not buy it! BSA works pretty darn good!! I prefer Sightron and Leopold’s, but I did by a BSA for my other rifle

Comment

7.62X39 is really not a good choice for deer hunting. Personally I would never shoot a deer with a rifle chambered in that cartridge unless it was a survival situation and that's all I had. If you are getting the rifle for plinking or personal protection the 7.62x39 is fine, but if you are getting it to hunt with stick with the .270 or .308. If you are concerned about the cost there is plenty of cheap .308 ammo to be had.

Comment

a 7.62 x 39 is pretty close to the same as a .308 just a russian cartidge. stay away from FMJ rounds though because they will blow through deer.

Comment

Let there be no mistake there is a serious difference between a 7.62x39 and a .308. You might get away with saying a .300 Savage is pretty close to a .308, or maybe that a 7.62x39 is pretty close behind a 30/30, but a 7.62x39 is way down the food chain from a .308

Comment

i have a saiga and i love it. as far as the 7.62-39 it works fine to kill deer. if it didn't kill stuff, then most of the armys of the world wouldn't be using it. its what the ak-47 uses, and thats what the saiga is designed after.

Comment

the 7.62x39 will kill deer, stay away from the FMJs and don't shoot past 200 yards, 100 would be better. Its closer to a 30-30 as stated. And yes most of the armies in the world use it, DOESN'T mean its a great hunting round, the other half use a 223 and I wouldn't want to elk hunt with it. as most of you well know the 39 is the length of the case a 308 is a 7.62 by 51 a half inch longer than the 39. That's A LOT more powder.

Comment

7.62x39 is limiting you too much on killing power or accuracy past 80-100 yards,too iffy'on putting down a deer as fast as you'd want. The Saiga wont satisfy you in accuracy,to warn you

Comment

Saiga's and 7.62x39 are pieces of $h!t for hunting purposes. If you can't afford a good used deer rifle, try to borrow one for the one day per year you can afford to hunt.

Comment

The 7.62-39 works fine to kill deer!

Comment

The 7.62-39 works fine to kill deer!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad