Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which bullet do you think will penetrate better. A 180 gr core lokt from a 300 Win. or a 250 gr Speer hot core from a 350 Rem ma

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which bullet do you think will penetrate better. A 180 gr core lokt from a 300 Win. or a 250 gr Speer hot core from a 350 Rem ma

Which bullet do you think will penetrate better. A 180 gr core lokt from a 300 Win. or a 250 gr Speer hot core from a 350 Rem mag or 35 Whelen (velocity is the same for the two 35's)Check back later for the correct answer

I do know firsthand what the 30 cal vs 35 will do on Moose and I’d pick the 35 cal over the 30 cal.. The 35 has a much larger wound channel, bust heavier bone and penetrate more than the 30 cal. Bullets have what you can call a performance range and the major problem with the 300 Win Mag is at close range less than 175 yards, it drives the bullet above the optimum range expanding to soon and or blowing up.

I’ve witnessed cleaner kills on moose with the 30-06 with the same bullet in a 300 Win Mag.

GO FIQURE!

Comment

i dont really know, but from what your asking, it sounds like you know the answer, and are just seeing how many other people know the answer, im going to guess the 300 Win. with the 180 gr cor-lokt

Comment

I am also going to go with the 300 Win. Core-Lokt. I hunt with the .308 Core-Lokt and have had great results.

Comment

I'm going to have to go with the 180 grain Core-Lokt. 250 grain bullet is a little heavier.

Comment

Sectional density is a little greater for the .35 slugs. You didn't say if the 180 core lokt is the round nose or spitzer version...? I think I'll take the .35 caliber rounds.

Comment

I agree with Beekeeper. Velocity being equal, the one with the greater sectional density. SDs are .279 for the 250G Speer Hot Core and .271 for the Remington Core-Lokt. Very close, but have to give it to the .35.

There are significant velocity differences. A 300 Win Mag .180g Core-Lokt has an advertised muzzle velocity of ~2,900 fps. The .350 Rem Mag should push a 250g Hot core at ~2,400. These bullets have similar construction, basically the lead core is bonded to the jacket, so I'd expect similar performance at equal velocities. Depending on the distance, one would expect the higher velocity bullet to expand more and shed more weight, thus decreasing the penetration. So, without trying to figure out the terminal bullet diameters and weights at each distance, I'd expect the .35 to penetrate more.

Comment

Again there are a few variables that we have not clarified but then that is always how it is in the hunting field so for reasons previously stated by others I will go with the .35 also. I wonder is shrewd old Dale has a trick question going here.

Comment

Ish - I wonder if Del has something up his sleeve, too - this is all theoretical. If he said Core-Lokt Ultra instead of Core-Lokt, the performance would differ some, too.

Oops! Hot Cor is technically not a bonded bullet, though the process does help keep the core and jacket attached.

Comment

I think Core-Lokt

Comment

Here's the answer. It is not by any means scientific. Back in 1986 Myself and 3 buds was camped under some huge Spruce trees on Afognak Island. The after dinner campfire BS session got around to talking about rifles, bullets and their performance. So to prove my point that the 350 would out penetrate my friends 300 we fired both into a Spruce log. The 300 did not make it thru. The 350 blew a hole thru and plowed earth on the other side. I lined up another log with the first, fired again and split the 2d log to retrieve a perfectly mushroomed 250 gr Speer Hot core bullet. I still have the bullet. My point is that short stubby round may not look impressive next to some others but it really performs. I made bang flop kills on 2 bears and a moose with it.

Comment

Del, you've got great stories. Seems "bang flop" has entered fully into our vocabulary.

Comment

MLH, One of the other guys came up with that term. It is right on so I use it. BTW we could not find anything but fragments of the 300 Win. bullet. It went about half way thru the log if memory serves.

Comment

I rest my case!

Comment

Years ago when I was a young buck I had a .300 Win Mag which I had loaded to the max as I was prone to do at that time. A hunting friend bought a .338 which probably was also loaded with as much powder as he had nerve to pour in the case (I don't recommend this practice to anyone, just follow the guidelines provided by the reloading manuals or the manufacturers). To show Bill how great my .300 was I aimed at a fallen partially rotted log that was about 2 to 3 feet in diameter and 100 yards away. The 30 cal neatly went through the log and made a nice big exit hole on the opposite side. Bill shot the .338 into the log far enough away from my bullet hole that we figured my hole made no difference in the experiment. The .338 cut the log into two pieces. I have owned a .338 ever since. I don't remember what bullets we were using, probably the cheapest Sierras or Hornadys made in 1970 because that would have been all we could have afforded.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad