Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I have the Marlin Xl7 in 30-06, and I am thinking about getting the Nikon Prostaff 3-9x40 scope for it what do yall think? what

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have the Marlin Xl7 in 30-06, and I am thinking about getting the Nikon Prostaff 3-9x40 scope for it what do yall think? what

I have the Marlin Xl7 in 30-06, and I am thinking about getting the Nikon Prostaff 3-9x40 scope for it what do yall think? what about getting the one with a bdc?

I would recommend the Buckmasters if you are looking for affordable Nikon. I have one, and it's very bright and sharp for the money. I don't know of any other scopes in the price range that come close. I've used a recent Prostaff, and it's close, but no cigar.

I'm not so sure about the BDC. It only works on a specific power setting (9 I think), and it isn't calibrated to a certain cartridge or load thereof. There is a small chance of it working wonders for you and your gun, but mostly it's a gimmick. If you want something with different aiming points for different ranges, get a mil-dot reticle.

Comment

I topped mine with a Leupold VX II 3-9x40. IMO it's pretty hard to beat Leupold with thier scope quality and lifetime warrenty, for about $200.

Comment

Where did you get a VX-II for 200 bucks? Son of a...

Comment

My local Cabela's has the XL7 on sale for $279 right now. For a deal on Leupold go to Ebay. I bought a NIB 3.5 X 10 VX III for $425. Retail was $595 for that scope. Make sure you get high quality rings.

Comment

The Nikon Prostaff is their entry level scope. They seem to be dependable rifle scope. There are several other entry level scopes out there in same ball park including the Leupold Rifleman.

RRmont I'd like to know where you found a VX II Leupold NIB for $200 also?

Pawn shops this time of year are a good place to look for good optics. Over the years I have found several used Leupolds for $100 or less, that is correct folks! Several more for $175 or less.

Comment

i love my Nikon prostaff with the BDC, most people will tell you to go with leupold, but the Nikon gathers light just as good, and its about 1/2 the price. the glass might not be as clear but shooting 300-400yds you will be fine.

Comment

I put the Buckmaster on top of my XL7 (in .270). I would have to agree that its light-gathering capabilities rival those of the Leupold (of which I have a VXII mounted on a Browning A-bolt). I also like the Bushnell Elite 3200. I was hesitant to go with the BDC for the same reasons that Shane mentioned.

Comment

Go for it. Nikon makes really food scopes.

Comment

Thanks yall, I wish I had the money to go a step up, but I am one of those poor college students

Comment

look at barska, they are cheaper then nikon and as good if not better quality. I got mine for 80 dollars

Comment

Sounds like a great combo, but I would go for a 4-26x40 instead.

Comment

Nikon is a great scope!!!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Voter Fraud
                            by 99explorer
                            Can you believe this crap?

Some Republican voters scoff at election results, say they’re willing to take up arms for Trump. Reuters spok...
                            Today, 02:39 PM
                          • Voter Fraud
                            by bowhunter75richard
                            For those who claim voter fraud is not happening......Google The Heritage Foundation/election fraud cases ! All states are listed.......it just might...
                            11-06-2020, 08:01 PM
                          • Reply to 100,000 cases Wednesday
                            by labrador12
                            I finally have a couple of people I know who have the China bat flu. Venango County is up to 8 deaths. About one a month on average.
                            Today, 01:05 PM
                          • 100,000 cases Wednesday
                            by rock rat
                            Lost amongst the ballot tossing is the fact that we are in the middle of a pandemic spike. A quarter million dead so far and a hundred thousand new cases...
                            11-05-2020, 09:38 AM
                          • Reply to Gun Free Zone
                            by PigHunter
                            Well, our local big mall has a "no firearms or illegal weapons" policy. Here's their statement of enforcement:

"The center...
                            Today, 12:17 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X