Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I posted earlier about buying a rifle in a few months and got some great input. I started looking and i need a bullet with a .23

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IMHO~~You will Not go worng with a .243 Win or 7mm/08
    low muzzle BLAST and very low recoil, will work on ground hogs up to Deer,Black bears,jackalops! LOL

Comment

I agree, 243 or a 7mm/08. Good luck, lets us know what you get.

Comment

Kansaskid... no problem my friend. I just wasn't sure what kind of info you were looking for. I highly recommend the 25-06 for that range of game. You can plug a deer with a 30-30. In Kansas, they are big, don't run very fast and they tend to be close most of the time. The 25-06 flattens them as well as a .270 or 30-06 and reaches out there to 500 yards if you can aim that well. I believe it is the best antelope rifle there is because of its speed and low recoil. I shoot antelope with a variety of rifles but never with one that out-performed the 25-06. Antelope run fast and if you ever intend to hit one on the run, you will need lots of practice and lots of speed. It is my favorite on coyotes too. The reason I suggest reloacing is so you can tune a load to your rifle for accuracy. Then you can shoot 75g, 85d, 90g, 100g, 110g, 115g and 120g bullets. They sound small next to the .30 or .338 caliber bullet weights but they will penetrate a Kansas whitetail from end-to-end in a Texas heart shot. I shoot 100g bullets at 3300 fps for deer and antelope unless I am in heavy brush and that is plenty. I zero for 200 yards and am an inch high at 100 yards, 8" low at 300 yds and 18" low at 400 yds. It gets there real quick. I shoot 85g bullets at 3600 fps for coyotes. I also shoot 75g bullets at 3750 fps at p-dogs, rocks and 100-200 yd targets. I've shot a few coyotes with them too but they occassionally leave a big exit hole. A 22 inch barrel will work but you will get nearly the speed of a .257 Weatherby with a 26 inch barrel. Good luck.

Comment

Thanks for all the advice everyone! Really helped me out a lot here and gave me a lot of insight. This helped make my decision and what to get here. Just got to find the gun and get all the money collected to buy one! haha

Comment

best choice here is a 25-06, very good antelope gun and varmint gun, very flat shooting. it works well on deer also. if your looking for under 500,get one in a rem 700,not a savage. other than accuracy, which you can find in pretty much every factory gun nowadays, specially remingtons with proper loads, savage offers nothing. most gunsmiths ive talked to say there cheap crap. with good handloads, looking at half inch groups. and you can get remingtons in left handed.

Comment

I could not agree more with deerhunterrick. A .243, 6mm or 25.06 would be just the ticket for hunting both whitetailed deer and antelope. All three are very, very low in recoil for comfort shooting. Even though the ammunition costs a tad more and is a little bit more difficult to find, I would like to recommend a 25.06. With its superior performance, I do not understand why this cartridge is so underated. Really, the ammo isn't that difficult to locate. I find it all the time at Walmart, at major sporting goods stores and on the internet. The round is just not as common to find as the .243. The 25.06 is a really hot and lightning fast wildcat round. It shoots way out there. It is ideal for deer and antelope in open country. I shoot a 25.06 in a Marlin XL7. I am very happy with it. I wouldn't get rid of it for any reason.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad