Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I posted earlier about buying a rifle in a few months and got some great input. I started looking and i need a bullet with a .23

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I posted earlier about buying a rifle in a few months and got some great input. I started looking and i need a bullet with a .23

I posted earlier about buying a rifle in a few months and got some great input. I started looking and i need a bullet with a .23 diameter or bigger to take deer or antelope in Kansas. What is a round that I could use for this and predator hunting as well. Need it in left-handed and preferably new under 500 or maybe 600 at most, what's my best choice?

.243 Winchester,6mm,.25/06, The .243 win would be the easiest to consistantly find factory ammo for and cheapest to reload. The 25/06 is about the upper end for preditor hunting if you want to keep the pelt. I know there are some that shot preditors with .270 and .308 cal, but that is a bit over kill for anything less then Cougars,Hogs or Bear. Coyote drop dead at 400 yards with a .22/250 fairly regular here in Ohio and the .243 will take them even farther

Comment

Are you looking for something different than the 25 responses to this question on 1.12.11? The answers there offered good choices for rifles and caliber responses tend to go from 22-250 to 25-06. Do you have other questions?

Comment

Like I stated, a Savage Model 11 in .243 win( $230 used with a scope), with Hornady Supreme Varmint Loads, 58 grain.

Comment

DakotaMan, I got great answers from people and it helped me narrow things down for sure, but a lot of people including you i believe were suggesting the 22-250, which i really like, but isn't a legal caliber in my state. So i guess my question is looking more towards some more advantages or disadvantages of a 25-06 or .243 or possibly some other calibers im not aware of around that .23 caliber range. Sorry to seem nagging or repetitive here, but just want to make the right choice or gain some insight since im not very knowledgeable in rifles

Comment

DaktotaMan, sorry i didn't read that last post you put up on my other question! Really helped my out there and answered a lot of questions for me! Thanks a lot it has been very helpful!

Comment

Go get yourself a .25-06 or a .308 and get 'er done! Leve the mouse guns at the store.

Comment

I would get a .243 that caliber has taken many deer and is also a good varment gun, the ammo is easy to find and relatively cheap when compared to other calibers.

Comment

Savage 25-06, great gun at a great price.

Comment

The Marlin XL7 bolt action rifle retails for less than $400 and is chambered in .25-06.
                    The Savage 11/111 Hunter Series bolt action rifle retails for less than $600 and is available in a wide range of calibers, including .243, .25-06 and 7mm-08.
                    You won't go wrong with either of those.

Comment

A Savage for the rifle. Lot's of good calibers listed on this question and the one before. A 243 will work, but so do a lot of others. I'm just not a 243 fan.

Comment

.243 or .25-06 -- either way go with Savage.

Comment

A .243win. Ruger would fit that job swell.

Comment

The Savage 11/111 series or the Weatherby Vanguard would be my choice. The newer Marlin XL7 or T/C Venture might be great as well, but I have no experience with those rifle models. The .243 and .270 Winchesters are two of the 10 most popular calibers for ammunition sales in the U.S.

However, I have no use for either one personally. There are better cartridges in the same class of each of them; like the .25-06 or .257 Roberts and the 7mm Remington Magnum. If you want to go with the wandering herd, get the .243 Win. If you want to be at the head of the pack, get a .25-06 or 7mm Remington. I would not get a .257 Roberts unless you handload. JMO

Comment

Having lived and hunted in Kansas for 20 years now let me say you won't get better advice than what WAMtnhunter just said.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad