Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I have a friend who is looking for a softer-kicking beginners rifle for deer hunting. Would a savage axis (formerly edge) in the

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have a friend who is looking for a softer-kicking beginners rifle for deer hunting. Would a savage axis (formerly edge) in the

I have a friend who is looking for a softer-kicking beginners rifle for deer hunting. Would a savage axis (formerly edge) in the range of .223 to 30-06 be a good choice?

yes, i would avoid the 223, it will do the job, but it is a little small. on the same note, a 243 will do the job and avoids a massive amount of recoil. the 30-06 will have a pretty good recoil, but it is still manageable. just keep in mind when the adrenaline is flowing, you wont feel a thing.

Comment

I'm not a big fan of the .243, if recoil is a problem I find the 7-08 Remington a better answer. With 140 grain factory loads recoil is mild and surgical bullet placement is not required.

I would recommend paying about $50 more and buying a Savage model 11, with it you get a better rifle with the Savage Accutrigger.

Comment

There are many, many calibers better than the .243 for deer. If they are insistant about a .243 Win, tell 'em AT LEAST 100 gr bullets for deer.

Let's throw out long range shots exceeding 150 yards. In my mind, beginners need to keep ranges short, within 100 yards if possible.
        With those ranges, the .30-30 Win will accomplish the task even though 150 yards is a tad much for the old "Deer Slayer"! Not much recoil.
        The following is a list of just "five" of the low recoil cartridges.
        .257 Roberts
        7x57 Mauser
        .260 Rem
        .25-06
        .270 Win
        There's tons of cartridges out there that can accomplish the task without flinch inducing recoil.

Bubba

Comment

It would be nice to know what he is shooting now so that you would have an idea what the recoil is that he is dealing with. I have had experience with the 7mm-08, 25-06, and 250 Savage. All three are effective and easy to shoot.

Comment

If they offer that rifle in 7/08, that's the choice and feed it Hornady Ammo with 139 gr. bullets.

Comment

I would go with a 270 load it up with 130 ammo

Comment

The .243W,257Rob.260R,7mm/08R, All soft Kicker

Comment

i have never had a problem killing deer with a 243 out too 300 yards as long as you well place your shots. and it has very low recoil

Comment

I'd highly recommend the 25-06 for recoil as light as the .243 with knock down power of the .270. I've shot deer and everything else with it for 44 years and don't use a .308,.270 or 30-06 anymore. No need; it flattens them well out to 400 yards. You can go very light with 75g bullets for small varmints and targets. The 25-06 is so flat shooting and so fast that you can easily handle anything you encounter from prairie dogs to deer. I think it is the absolute best for coyote and antelope and compares well with the .270 for deer.

Comment

Do you mean I don't need an 8# sledge hammer to pound that finishing nail into my China Cabinet anymore? Bigger isn't always better if you can't handle shooting it. .243, 6mm, 6.5x55, 7-08 all fill the bill for deer. Afterall, they are thin skined and only weight 180# not 300#

Comment

What are you shooting? Why don't you let your friend shoot your rifle and decide where his comfort factor is? No one will shoot a rifle well if he is scared of it.

Comment

A rough heavy trigger is no good for a beginner. That's exactly what you'll get with an Edge/Axis.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad