Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ualtimate in home defense weapon i say my pump 12. he says 45. whos right?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rocky d bashaw
    replied
    12ga,the racking of the pump at night is scarey sound if your not doing the racking of it.

Leave a comment:

• art6555
    replied
    I would ask, "what is your plan?" Clearing your home, then I like my Glock 21 in 45 ACP, but if you are going to barricade or stand back and stack em up, then the shotty is great.

I have 2 little boys (2 and 4) so if I heard a bump in the night, I would grab the 45 and work my way to the boys. Mama would sit in the bedroom with the shotgun. Once I rounded the boys up (if I found the Obama voter/voters on the way to the boys, I would light them up with the 230 grn hollow points)then I would return to the bedroom. Only after I let my wife knew it was me would I enter the bedroom and dig in with my 12 guage full of #4 birdshot. She would have already had the police coming by calling 911.

So for me the answer is "you're both right"

Leave a comment:

• rudyglove27
    replied
    I use 12 Gauge Shotgun for Home Defense Weapon!!!

Leave a comment:

• MarlinMan
    replied
    12 is the best, but why not have both!

Leave a comment:

• PotterMan96
    replied
    You are definently right I would go with .12 gauge if some breaks into my house I'm not giving them a chance to leave!!!!!

Leave a comment:

• hengst
    replied
    12 ga wins in my book.I have both a 45 and a 12 for HD but there is alot to be said for 3" 00 coming at you inside of 15 ft. I also have slugs in after the first 3 and more rounds on the buttstock. You can get an extended tube also. Will I need all of those rounds? Probably not but...

Leave a comment:

• hjohn429
    replied
    I say a punp 12 as your primary gun with a 45 acp for backup.

Leave a comment:

• WA Mtnhunter
    replied
    I just have to give the PC "green" answer here, since the intruder is likely to be a liberal, Obama-supporting scumbag.

I would not want him to be subjected to any of the toxic lead that his ilk want to ban or to a dog bite that might send him to the Emergency Room for treatment at taxpayer expense. Instead, I would dose him with 12 gauge 3" magnum, 1 3/8 ounce load of steel shot BB's delivered from the slug barrel of my 870.

Leave a comment:

• shane
    replied
    If a home intruder is wearing body armor, I'll just shoot him in the face.

Racking your shotgun is for the movies. While you're playing with the slide trying to sound scary, he'll be locating the sound and shooting it, or running the other way and killing your wife and kids. The only sound they'll hear from my shotgun is, well, he won't hear anything because the projectiles are moving faster than the speed of sound. Flash of light, darkness.

PS...you have to aim a "scattergun" just as much as any other gun. Go take your shotgun with your IC or Cylinder choke, and shoot it at a board from a realistic indoor range. Like 25 feet. Less even. How big is the pattern you just made? hmm...

Instead of fantasizing about splattering a guy all over your kitchen, think about how you're gonna do it. It's real when it's real. The movie crap doesn't apply.

Leave a comment:

• ishawooa
    replied
    herbie: My Kimber has night sights which glow like tiny beacons if you are standing behind the pistol. Makes sighting in dim or poor light fairly easy with a bit of practice. I have always been concerned about mounting a light on my defense gun since I feel that if the intruder is armed all he has to do is shoot at the light and hit whoever is holding it.

Leave a comment:

• FloridaHunter1226
    replied
    I would say the 12 gauge and let me tell you why... unlike a .45, the 12 gauge pellets hardly go through walls. That way, you do not hit anybody you do not mean to. With a .45, you might miss the person/object you mean to shoot and it can go through a wall and hit your loved one. Also, with a shotgun, you increase the chances of hitting your target.

Leave a comment:

• idduckhntr
    replied
    Sharkfin I also use a 20 for homedefense, especialy when Im gone on a huntin trip I feel better knowing my wife has something she could handle if need be but I give 3in 4s instead,but I know why you use the 6s they are nasty and a 20 shoots tight to begin with.

Leave a comment:

• Beekeeper
    replied
    I'll take the 12 gauge and a one once dove load of 7.5's.

Leave a comment:

• auburn_hunter
    replied
    sorry for the double post

Leave a comment:

• auburn_hunter
    replied
    I agree with the previous posts about the pump shotgun being loaded being the best deterrant. We have an alarm system that has had a faulty sensor and gone off a couple of times at night while we were all in bed. I have a .40 in my nightstand in one of those GunVault biometric safes that I use to clear the house. Each time I go straight to my kids' rooms and start working from there through the rest of the house. So far each time the alarm has gone off it has been a false alarm. I feel confident in the .40, but I would prefer my 20 ga pump (just harder to lock up and yet keep accessible quickly).

Leave a comment:

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad