Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ualtimate in home defense weapon i say my pump 12. he says 45. whos right?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ualtimate in home defense weapon i say my pump 12. he says 45. whos right?

ualtimate in home defense weapon i say my pump 12. he says 45. whos right?

*my brother says

Comment

you are right, a 12 ga is the best

Comment

I'd pick something different, but having only those two choices, I would go with the 12 because you don't have to worry as much (still have to worry though) about how much that projectile will travel. 12 will stop alot quicker than a .45, and most people will have adrenaline take over and not be the best shot when it comes to an intruder entering your home. therefore the 12 wins again just for the spread of the shot. just my opinion though.

Comment

I personally keep a .45 ACP with the magazine stored near the pistol but not togather. That way if an intruder arrives before I do maybe he will not locate both. I feel comfortable using the .45 as a home defense weapon but then I have shot them a lot. I often wonder if a pump 20 gauge might be the best choice due to there being enough pellets to impede the advances of the perpetrator(s) but yet decrease the possibility of shooting a loved one who might be in the next room. Buckshot obviously is less likely to go through a wall or door than is a slug or a 230 hardball or one of the newer .45 premium bullets. This is certainly something to think about ahead of time, like now, rather than waiting until you actually are required to take action.

Comment

By the way if you have never shot a gun in a building before then be prepared for a tremendous assault on your ears from either 12 gauge or .45 muzzle blast. If you are comtemplating firing in the dark be damed sure who or what you are shooting at before touching one off. You can't call back a bullet or shotload.

Comment

i have a pump 12ga and 38sp at arms reach during the night,the sound of pump gets anybody running

Comment

First of all, the intruder will have to get past the playful German Shorthair Pointer and if they survive the licking and want to play, my 45ACP is close by. 12 gauge with #4 buckshot or even #9’s will work fine.

First thing you need to decide is what choice of weapon you need? How far will the projectile travel thru walls and into perhaps the neighbors’ house? You are responsible from the time of the pull of the trigger to the final resting place of that projectile and hope nobody will not step on it to slip and fall NO JOKE!

Nothing is more terrifying than a 12ga pump racking a round into the chamber at night!

By the way, if you don’t think #9 birdshot will work, shoot a car door and you will see how devastating it is!!!

Comment

My Glock .40 sw is my home defense gun. I know i can make the shot i need (with a single projectile)and not endanger a loved-one nearby. With a scattergun i think collateral damage is a big risk in close quarters. Btw, while i'm taking care of that my wife'll be loading the 12ga. for affect.

Comment

My carry is a 9mm but it is my back up at home. I have a 20ga pump ready for home defense mainly for the lower odds of damage after passing through what I'm shooting. Those referring to the spread of a shotgun should understand you still have to aim a shotgun. Pattern a 20ga with full choke 6 shot at 15-20 feet and check out the size of that hole and pattern. Still very tight. This shot is still in a 2.5'-3' circle at 30 yards.

Comment

12ga fore sure

Comment

I've got both the 45 is closer and my go to gun because its got the light on it. I'll go with that till I can get the lights on.

Comment

I would have the .45. It is easier to carry and faster at the draw.

Comment

I just bought a single shot 20 ga mainly for home defense right now. My son isn't old enough to shoot so once he gets old enough its his, but being a few years down the road it will serve a purpose for me. I made sure to buy one that had a 3" chamber, in a building a load of #4 buck from any shot gun will put someone down in there tracks. My question to those defending the handguns, do you have laser sights on your guns? otherwise are you turning on all your lights to protect yourself because its pretty hard to aim in the dark.

Comment

Shotgun is safer for family and neighbors. Would prefer multi-shell capacity. Home invaders are often not alone. Not sure if it is true but heard a report that some some are wearing body armor.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad