Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 22.mag vs. 17.HMR?

22.mag vs. 17.HMR?

.17 hmr is slightly faster, .22 mag hits harder from more bullet mass. Some states don't allow .17hmr to shoot game. So it depends on what you want to shot with it. Buy one of each, they're relatively inexpensive

Comment

Here's what I think.

A 17 is probably more versatile. It can be used from squirrels to coyotes. The problem is cost of ammunition. If your a handloader that's ok. Ammunition for the 17 is just too pricey.It usually shoots a 17 or 20 grain bullet.

A .22 mag is also versatile, but not as much. Some say that a .22 mag will tear up rabbit and squirrel meat too much to eat. It can be used from fox to coyote thought. It's accurate to about 125 yards and shoots a 30 or 40 grain bullet commonly.

From that little bit of information it's kind of hard to decide.

Overall I think I pick the .22 mag because ammunition is cheaper and you can just use .22 long for rabbits and squirrels. It could also probably bring down a coyote much easier.

Comment

alright thanks I think I'll try the 22.mag

Comment

ive got a .22 mag its really nice long distance and accurate id rather have that then a .17 but it depends what state you live in some dont allow you to use rifles larger then a standard .22 on public land (or at least in ct where i live)

Comment

I have a Ruger M77/22M (stainless) with composite stock that shoots so well at 100 yards that I'm considering selling my .22 Hornet, since the .22 Mag fills its niche so well. I'm delighted with the .22 Mag.
            I haven't purchased a .17 HMR, but a friend permitted me to try his Marlin 917V (?), a handsome rifle with a stainless barrel that printed very accurately while the 4X scope was being zeroed at 50 yards, but we ran out of time before we could set up our targets at 100 yards.

Comment

I've shot both, I love my .17 but almost wish I would have gone with a .22 mag just for the overall versatility.

Comment

T, I hope you were referring to a .17 REM or some other center fire because the 17 HMR can't be hand loaded. I own a 17 HMR and it is soo much fun, and they all seem to be accurate.

Comment

I love my 17. Its is very accurate and fun to shoot.

Comment

A .22 is more versitle but what i have exsprinced a 17 is more acurite but is a flater shot

Comment

For hunting any game larger than a ground squirrel the 22 Mag. is the vastly superior round. The 17 hmr is a very accurate round and a pleasure to hit with at reasonably long range but it's record of solid hits and not recovered animals is well known to hunters. The 22 mag. on the other hand is not as accurate and is not a long range round but is by far the better killers at ranges out to about 75-90 yards. I have taken many deer from a tree stand and seven coyote out to the 80 yard mark with the 22 mag. and the Win. 40 gr. hp bullet. I can't ask for better performance from a very small cartridge. None of the animals that I've shot with this cartridge have gone anyplace. The 17 hmr has failed me on woodchucks and horrible performance on a raccoon that I eventually was able to catch up to. My brother in law, an excellent shot and hunter, has given up on the 17 hmr altogether because of the poor performance on small game. The members of the local coyote hunting group will no longer use the 17 hmr for the same reason but will use the 22 mag. If anyone wants a accurate target rifle and a pretty good crow rifle the 17 hmr is for you but for anything larger I personally will not use it.

Comment

22 mag, cheaper ammo

Comment

.22 mag.

Comment

$$$

Comment

$$$

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to I paid more taxes than Trump in 16 and 17
                                by bowhunter75richard
                                The fact check proves nothing unless from a reliable and unbiased source. And any information from his POS attorney means nothing either, just WTF would...
                                Today, 06:22 PM
                              • I paid more taxes than Trump in 16 and 17
                                by rock rat
                                Both years he paid $750

And of the 15 years before that he paid no taxes in 10 of those years.

He works as hard at tax avoidance...
                                Yesterday, 06:29 PM
                              • Reply to Bad news for COVID-19 "cases"!
                                by Danbo
                                Just looking for ammunition that they didn't have.

My head was hung a little 😉

They have three guns left all Savage bolts...
                                Today, 06:16 PM
                              • Bad news for COVID-19 "cases"!
                                by FirstBubba
                                We know COVID-19 deaths are wildly inflated.
                                NOW... by the CDC's own definition, COVID-19 "cases" are even more wildly exaggerated!...
                                Today, 10:45 AM
                              • Reply to Trump
                                by 99explorer
                                When Donald Trump first exploded on the political scene, he was an unpredictable rule breaker and neither the news media nor anyone else knew how to handle...
                                Today, 06:08 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X