Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I have a winchester 30/30 lever. my question is will this gun reach out 250-300 yards and still be effective to kill deer. using

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WAM not to say I disagree with the 300yd might be pushing it statement. I do have an issue with this one. "The maximum range I will shoot at an unwounded game animal is that range where the bullet is still flying 1,800+ fps, 2,000 fps is better." If I were to follow that advice the slugs I shoot from my shotgun would be worthless at anything past maybe 30 yards (1900FPS at muzzle 1770 at 50yds)

Comment

Absolutely not. The 30-30 is an excellent 100 yard deer and black bear rifle. The new pointed bullets add almost nothing to it's effectiveness. Use this little rifle for close range in forest use and you will never be disappointed but if you try to stretch it out you're asking for wounded animals and long tracking jobs.

Comment

Dbetzner

We were talking rifles. Notice I stated " the bullet is still flying..". You can kill 'em with bowling balls going much slower than a slug gun if you could hit them. Your supposition maybe closer to the true effective range of slugs than you imagine. Don't believe everything you hear from the marketing department.

Comment

PS

I'm a lousy tracker and an even worse dragger. I like them to be close to where I shoot 'em. Dead right there.

Comment

No argument there dont necisarily trust the marketing department whose telling me my slug will only have a 6.2 inch drop at 200 yds still have a velocity of 1426 and energy of 1741, I know my slug will preform fairly well at 100yds (the marketing dept claims 1648 veloc with 2325 energybut who knows really not me) (though i prefer to keep my shots much closer to under 50) much like you I hate to track and also prefer them to drop in place or within 20 yards.

Comment

Holy Smoke Poles! The good folks at Hornady have a new .35 Whelen load that claims 2,910 fps with a 200 grain bullet! What will those Rocket Scientists come up with next! They need to add "Doubtful" to their 'Accurate, Deadly, Dependable' marque on their media!

Comment

To give credit where credit is due, Hornady developed a round for the one-gun hunter with the old thutty thutty to extend his range a bit.
                It's just that anything over 150 yards is a big stretch, and beyond its capability, IMHO.

Comment

In thinking about this a bit more, am I not correct in that very few 94's accepted a scope very well? At the very least (worst?) they had to have that side mount thing or have the scope well up on the barrel in order to clear the ejection port. If the rifle in question is open-sighted, I am in awe of anybody's ability to hit a deer sized target at the ranges in question with iron sights. I also wonder, assuming successful scope mounting, how accurate an older lever action would be at that range? Perhaps an exercise in futility at best, or a crippled animal at worst? Keep the 94 on a short leash, that's why they make .308's and the like.

Comment

Double naught,

You forgot about those flat top Marlins. I have a slick early 70's Model 336 thuty/thuty at home that I picked up sans sights. It was a confiscated gun and the Sheriff's dept. kept the scope, rings and bases. It functions very well with a Leuy M-8 4X. Darn thing has a 3 pound trigger too. It gets fed a diet of good old Remington Core-lokt 150 grain round noses.

Comment

I have a Savage M/170C Pump 30-30 Scoped that Loves
                      Hornady Flex Tip Ammo, at 200yd it give me 1.75"grops
                      but I set my limits at Max 150Yd, I had a Marlin 336/30-30 not worth a dang with H/F~T Ammo it would only shoot 170Gr Win Ammo well, not all 30/30 guns will shot this ammo well, it was made for the one gun hunter to strech out some. this is my rainy day gun.
                      My Remington M~7,7mm/08 is my Hunting GUN

Comment

For what it's worth, I killed a deer three years ago at about 175 yards using the Leverevolution ammunition on my Marlin 336. The rifle is scoped with the Cabela's scope designed for use with that round. The deer went maybe 60 yards further in the field before it wnet down and expired.

Comment

most of my shots are 50-175 yards but have been told rock pile is about 250-300 yards out from the farm blind. i really like the way this gun fires and has been very dependable with 2x7 scope on it with over under mounts due to ejection issues with this gun. was wondering if it is good kill gun for deer or need to upgrade. i enjoyed lots of your imputs. would like your thoughts on what ammo may work to knock down or need to upgrade and only use this for varmits.

Comment

I guess all of us are guilty at one time or another of trying to make something into something it is not. The ammo makers are trying to sell ammo, gun manufacturers are trying to sell guns, and hunters are trying to kill deer. Just don't try to make a .30-30 into a long range deer rifle. It never was one and never will be. If you want consistent 300 yard kills, get a 7mm magnum or at least a 30-06 or other high velocity bolt gun and leave the lever guns to their intended purpose.

Comment

pokey10 -
                              I think you must have gotten the message by now: you most definitely need to upgrade if you intend to shoot at deer in the vicinity of that rock pile. If you cannot afford to upgrade, you must confine your shooting to half the distance to the rock pile with that .30/30.
                              Pace it off and place a visible marker to indicate your range limitation.

Comment

Bee, we're on the same page of the hymnal, probably the same pew as well (haha). Yes, I did think about the Marlins. I've got a 336 in .35 Remington that wears a Redfield 2x7. Had the .338-06 not arrived when it did, the Marlin would have been in the woods and on the mountain. I was thinking only of the 94's and all the gyrations necessary to scope them. I think the ultimate .30-30 application is at the bear camp we frequent, a model 94 Trapper that is used at short range only. Rides well on your back, doesn't take up too much space behind the seat or in the tool box, and does it's job very well. I have the ultimate respect for the old round, in the proper environment. Merry Christmas, gang!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad