Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I have a winchester 30/30 lever. my question is will this gun reach out 250-300 yards and still be effective to kill deer. using

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have a winchester 30/30 lever. my question is will this gun reach out 250-300 yards and still be effective to kill deer. using

I have a winchester 30/30 lever. my question is will this gun reach out 250-300 yards and still be effective to kill deer. using hornady 160 grain lever rounds.

If you can hit a pie plate consistently at that distance on the range, yes. But that's getting out there for that round. Practice and know the ballistics.

Comment

steve hit the nail on the head

Comment

My old man seems to think so. If you can still hit a vital zone area, you can. If you can put it even more accurately, you might be able to stretch it. Coffee cans, anyone?

Comment

My younger years in Arizona, I've whacked a many Coyotes way past 300 yards. Took abit of Kentucky windage it did and a few rounds it to, but it worked darn good when it connected!

Comment

Not to say one can't hit a deer's vitals at 300 yards, but the cartridge barely has enough velocity to expand and penetrate at that range. What is the minimum velocity for 1.5 to 2x expansion for that bullet? If it doesn't expand and have enough juice to penetrate and at least pass through to the offside hide, it isn't going fast enough in my opinion. The maximum range I will shoot at an unwounded game animal is that range where the bullet is still flying 1,800+ fps, 2,000 fps is better.

If you don't squarely connect with the heart and lungs at that range, you might be joining the tales of woe about the one that got away elsewhere on this blog.

Comment

go for it

Comment

Thats quite a stretch for that gun. 30-30 was developed for short range and thick brush shooting with knock down power, not long range shooting. It will go that far but the expansion will be minimal.

Comment

IMO~~ I like the Hornady Flex Tip 30/30 BUT know your Limits and your guns Limits the 30/30 is a great round
                  ment for that 100yd to 150yd Shot, NOT 3 foot ball field shot at a deer, if hes going to shoot at that range get a 7mm/08 or 25/06 not a 30/30, Hunt Smart

Comment

If that's the only gun you have and you can hit an 8 inch circle every time then sure, I guess. Can't say I would advise it. On the other hand, if that's the only gun you have, you probably have no business shooting that range.

Comment

I've read nothing but good things of the new flex point bullets. wasnt this why they were created, to bring the 30/30 out of closet. I'd say get a steady rest and go for it.

Comment

I feel the 30/30 is very effective under 200 yds. on deer. Too many variables beyond that.

Comment

300 yards is an awfully long poke for the old model 94 and the .30-30. I'd stay closer to 200 and feel much better about my chances. Good hunting, merry Christmas, all.

Comment

PigHunter

I'm not sure I buy the Accurate, Deadly, Dependable hype from Hornady. The factory loaded 7mm Interbonds patterned worse than my 12 gauge and the only misfires from NIB factory ammo was Hornady and PMC. Several of my friends have complained about accuracy of Hornady factory ammo and switched brands. Just my experience.

Comment

Pighunter,

Note he said "when" he connected and he is talking about varmints not "walking" a round in Elmer Keith style on a deer.

Hornady has been known to blow a lot of smoke lately. Don't believe everything you see in print. The thuty/thuty is best left to 200 yards or less. Energy transfered past that is on the light side. If 250 to 300 yard shots are your norm get a bigger hammer.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Jan. 6 committee illegally formed
                                by Danbo
                                Lab - I hope your travels back East are going well .

The bandicoot doesn't believe anything unless yahoo news says it's so.

Today, 11:37 AM
                              • Jan. 6 committee illegally formed
                                by FirstBubba
                                Number 1 - the committee was SUPPOSED to be composed of 8 (D)'s and 5 (R)'s.
                                Pelosi rejected three of the (R) members and filled the spots with...
                                06-11-2022, 08:51 AM
                                by labrador12
                                The pussy hat wearing riots didn't happen? The burning cars and burning city blocks didn't happen? What evidence do you want? The Steele Dossier is total...
                                Today, 11:15 AM
                                by 99explorer
                                One side of this argument has tons of evidence, while the other side has none.
                                Talk is cheap.
                                Today, 11:01 AM
                              • Reply to What's Ahead?
                                by jhjimbo
                                The group running the Country want to have an all out war with Putin. Just like they did in Syria, Egypt, Iraq, Lebanon, and Lybia. Susan Rice, Hillary,...
                                Today, 09:59 AM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X