Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are you an accuracy nut? Is good enough, good enough for you? What's your opinion?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are you an accuracy nut? Is good enough, good enough for you? What's your opinion?

Are you an accuracy nut? Is good enough, good enough for you? What's your opinion?

I am assuming you are talking about sighting in a rifle for hunting? Yes I would consider myself an accuracy nut. When I sight my guns in I want them to be absolutely as accurate as possible. I prefer my deer guns to be able to hit a half dollar at 100 yards. My squirrel guns I want to be absolute tack drivers once they are sighted in. I like to have the confidence that if I miss the game it was me and not the rifle.

Comment

ya i am a nut, my deer rifles are 1 inch at 100 yards, my 223 coyote gun is 2 inch at 300 yards

Comment

my deer rifle is just about MOA. i have a less accurate but good enough rifle i want to kill a deer with, then it can resume it's spot in the safe for another 15 years, but i cannot get myself to give up the accurraccy of my Savage. The win94 shoots about 2.5 moa, very acceptable for a deer rifle, especially one where i'll limit my shot to 200 yards. We'll see.

Comment

My 1.5 MOA M70 is plenty of accurate to kill moose. So yeah, good enough is good enough. I don't plan on shooting anything farther then 200 yards. Although when I work up the money to get me a .260 Rem for caribou I think I'll like it to be MOA...but not required. I'm more serious about my goose guns anyway.

Comment

With my .17 hmr I am. I shot lots of rounds til I got it down to 3 shots touching at 60 yards.

Comment

It's never quite good enough - can always tweak it some more. Time is often an issue, though.

Some guns are special, and I've come to accept their limits, though I do try to get them a bit better. I had a Win M-71 like that. 3-4" was the best I could get with handloads. Didn't stop me from using it, though. Same with my dad's old M-94, though groups are currently around 2 inches.

Comment

Good enough is never good enough. It has to be perfect.

Comment

M.O.P. is good enough for a deer gun, i heard somewhere

Comment

It's weird for me. I have some guns that I'm OK with if they're grouping under 3 inches, and there are others that give me the quivers if they aren't printing groups smaller than a quarter.

Comment

i think anything smaller than a 270 needs to be pretty well sighted in. if you're not sighting in your 220 swift to dead on accurate, i think you're just ruining your guns potential to drop deer that stand 500 yards out there. if you're shooting something larger than a 270, you should also sight it in to accurate. i don't believe it's as big of a deal to be PERFECTLY dead on accurate. but you should still be close. accuracy and knock down power are two different things to me. i like to see quick kills. i don't like it when my deer runs 150 yards and i have to track it. i like nice, quick clean kills. i also don't like the animal to suffer

Comment

I will fiddle and tinker with a rifle and with its handloads until I feel I've induced, bribed, or cajoled the rifle to give me its absolute best. And if its best isn't MOA or better, the rifle will move on to someone else.

I have spent ridiculous sums of money and energy and effort attempting to get some rifles (particularly good-looking ones) to do what I want (I've done the same thing with women, also to no avail). These days I'll move on to another rifle much sooner than in the past.

TWD

Comment

My standard of accuracy understandably depends on how I'll use the rifle. When I purchase a rifle, I generally have a fair expectation of how it'll perform, and I try to be objective and realistic about that. I'll upgrade the iron sights with a receiver sight or add whatever glassware on the receiver that's appropriate to the the intended task. When I'm satisfied that the rifle is performing to expectations in the standing offhand, kneeling and prone positions, I take it a bit further off the bench with carefully tailored handloads. Many rifles have easily outperformed my expectations; deer rifles that have performed like varminters. There have been but a few disappointments, and I can't blame all of them on the rifle. There have been just a few that I simply couldn't shoot a fraction as well as I'd hoped, but they grouped well off the bench. Others were "natural pointers" for me.

Comment

Yes and no, I have different standards for different actions bolts no more than 1.5,mostly 1 MOA. Levers and Autos around 2 but I usually hunt with bolts and keep my BARs and MDL 94s in the safe.

Comment

arhery or gun has to be in the hole, the size of a quarter, or i aint happy

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Trump Discusses Covid Statistics
                                by 99explorer
                                CRM - It would be nice if you could address the issues presented in opposing comments instead of deriding the person posting the comments.
                                Anybody
                                Today, 01:09 AM
                              • Trump Discusses Covid Statistics
                                by rock rat

​​​​​​[email protected]: “Oh, you’re doing death as a proportion of cases. I’m talking about death as a proportion of population....
                                Yesterday, 09:27 AM
                              • Reply to The George Floyd case.
                                by 99explorer
                                Dream on boys. We've all seen an actual cold-blooded murder take place on TV, and the kneeling cop will be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law....
                                Today, 12:57 AM
                              • The George Floyd case.
                                by FirstBubba
                                Body cam footage shows Floyd wasn't murdered. The cop kneeling on his neck might have been negligent, but his actions did not kill Floyd.
                                Minnesota...
                                Yesterday, 10:23 PM
                              • Reply to The George Floyd case.
                                by crm3006
                                My mistake, I didn't realize the Minnesota AG was going to prosecute. I thought it was U.S. Attorney Erica MacDonald. ellison being a muslim, there is...
                                Yesterday, 11:24 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X