Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any thoughts on the Nosler Custom model 48?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any thoughts on the Nosler Custom model 48?

Any thoughts on the Nosler Custom model 48?

Yea, it's nice but expensive. If I was going to buy that I'd probably go to Ed Brown.

Comment

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

I'll stick to my 03-A3 THANK YOU!

Comment

If you want custom, see Shaw.

Comment

try HS Prescion

Comment

When you look at one it reminds you greatly of a Remington 700 with its reciever milled octagon. Lots of cash for that type of rifle.

Comment

Seems that the Nosler marketing guys tried to set this gun up for collectors. Probably would do better if it with a wood stock. Sure seems like a nice gun, though.

Comment

I have two Nosler 48s. One in 300wsm and the other in 308.

Previously I have owned H.S. Precisions, Custom shop rifles and custom built rifles from Texas custom riflemakers. While these other custom rifles are nice In my opinion the Nosler is better.

Accuracy is phenominal in the Nosler 48...at least as good as HS Precision. The balance, weight, smothness and trigger are as good as I have had in a rifle.

Other custom rifles have some nice features about them but the Nosler just puts everthing together well.

In my .308 the magazine has some extra length and I can load it to and overall length of 2.84 inces and achieve 2730fps with the Nosler 180 accubond. Last year I shot a bull elk with this load. The shot was at 60 yards straight on. The bullet pentrated the entire length of the elk. Light out.

For value, accuracy, weight, and all weather ruggedness I dont think you can do much better than the Nosler 48.

Comment

I purchased a 48, 300WSM for my 2009 Safari which I returned about a month ago. I needed a lite rifle to carry for all the walking I was going to do. I studied many different rifles and it came down to the Kimber Montana and the Nosler 48. The Nosler 48 proved very accurate at the range in working up a load using 180 gn Barnes TSX bullets and even while doing the barrel break-in exercise. I reduced the trigger pull to 2 lbs, my personal setting for all my rifles. I notice the recoil at the range and installed a Schrewd Muzzle Brake, this proved to be a good move. I did not read the manual and after getting the muzzle brake back from my Gunsmith I torqued down the action screws to 67 inch pounds in the front and 55 inch pounds near the trigger. This crushed the foam stock causing tension on the drop plate causing it to open after each shot at the range. I installed some flat washers, used them as spacers this and reading the manual solved the problem, back to the range. Accuray is very good, normally 1 to 1.5 inch groups at 200 yds. I took this rifle as my primary to Africa. The longest shot was 256 yds and the shortest was 52 yds. Everything dropped in it tracks. I did notice while on Safari, my actions screws were backing off a little after each shot. So every day after safari, I re-torqued it and everything was fine. I contacted Nosler to let them know that the action screws were backing off after each shot and Nosler wants the rifle back to check it out. Apparently I am not the first one that has similar problems. I think that are beefing up the stock to take the standard torque. After saying all this, I really do like the rifle and plan on using it on other trips. Just need to work through a few minor problems. The Cerakote proved it can hold up to a good agressive trip, I do not baby my rifles. Would I recommend the 48 to anyone to buy - Yes with an asterik. I made suggestions to new owners to get a muzzle brake. I suggest to Nosler that they offer a box magazine and muzzle brake as options. All in all I am very pleased with the rifle and would buy another one.

Comment

I just bought a 48 in 300WSM. I also have a Kimber Montana 8400 in 300WSM. The Montana is lighter and on the surface appears to have good featurs like the Nosler 48. There is one big difference however. The Kimber DOES NOT SHOOT. I have tried several out of the box match grade ammo choices, as well as hand loads and the best I can do is 2 1/4 inch 3 shot groups at 100 yards. The Nosler 48 on the other hand is a dream gun. I shot three 3 shot groups yesterday that were under 0.75 inches. These groups were with Nosler custom ammuntion (180 grain accuBond spitzers). The timney trigger is set to 3 pounds and has no cary. The stock is well constructed and will hold up well to horse back rideing for elk. In my opinion the Nosler 48 is vastly superior to the Kimber Montana but it's possible I just got a bad rifle. I returned the gun to Kimber for an accuracy check and they crowned the barrel and sent it back to me with a 3 shot group shot by a tech at their range. The grouping was 2 inches and on the paper it said that met Kimber standards for accuracy.

Comment

Originally I was considering a Remington 700 Alaskan Ti or a Sendero before I read reviews with accuracy complaints. I kept searching and added the Kimber Montana 8400 and Nosler Custom Model 48 TGR to my list. The Nosler Custom Model 48 TGR is the only rifle on my list that I haven't found any complaints about. Infact everything I have read has been in praise of it.

I moved from southern California to the Colorado Rockies last summer and am going to be purchasing my first bolt action big bore hunting rifle. I plan to buy just one hunting rifle, and it looks like the Nosler Custom will be it. I have been planning on .300 Win Mag for hunting deer, elk, and whatever else. www.DoubleTapAmmo.com sells a 200gr Nosler Partition for $38/box of 20.

Comment

Agreed with Beekeeper answer above and A + 1 for you sir!!!

Comment

I have a M48C on order in 300 Win Mag. Permanent muzzle break, 14" LOP. Nosler gave me the best price on a scope so I ordered a Swarovski Z5 3.5x18x44 with 4W reticule, Leupold bases. Can't wait!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Steven Cox View Post
                            I have a M48C on order in 300 Win Mag. Permanent muzzle break, 14" LOP. Nosler gave me the best price on a scope so I ordered a Swarovski Z5 3.5x18x44 with 4W reticule, Leupold bases. Can't wait!!!
                            Just recieved my custom M48 in 28 Nosler. Had Nosler install a muzzlebrake and finished in slate gray. Used Talley Rings and mounted a X5i Swarovski 5x25x56mm. It's a true long range set up. The Kimber rifle is no match for the Nosler. Not even close. I can shoot just under 1" at 200 yards with this rifle using 175 grain Accubonds. Although someone in this post also mentioned the 700 Alaskan Ti.....I also have one in 270 WSM. My goat and high country rifle. It is a very fine rifle...but still not in same category as Nosler custom 48. Steve, I have that Z5 3.5x18x44 on a custom Rem 700 action with a McMillian stock, jewell trigger and Krieger barrel in 7mm SAUM. Probably the finest all round hunting scope I have ever owned.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad