Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I have a can of H-4831 WWII surplus powder that chronographs as good as newer powders in my .270, .280, and '06. No noticeable

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have a can of H-4831 WWII surplus powder that chronographs as good as newer powders in my .270, .280, and '06. No noticeable

I have a can of H-4831 WWII surplus powder that chronographs as good as newer powders in my .270, .280, and '06. No noticeable degradation is apparent in any way chemically or physically. Does anyone have a can of powder older than this one?

That's pretty old. I've read that as long as it's stored in a cool dry place powder will last a very long time. Is that an old can of Bruce Hodgdon's?

Comment

i agree with Del, as long as it has been kept cool and dry it will say good for a long time.

Comment

Del it is from Bruce. I have a pound can that has never been opened and looks like new. I am saving it since a dear old departed friend gave it to me.

Comment

Selling surplus powder was how Bruce got started. He donated the land for my Rifle club (Mill Creek RC near DeSoto, KS.) I never met him but understand he was a fine gentleman and avid hunter. I use more Hodgdon powder than any other brand. Hodgdon H1000 is a favorite for my 25-06. The Ohler indicates better velocity than anything else and accuracy is good. IMR 4831 won't touch it without dangerous pressure.

Comment

BTW Ish if you open the can look closely at the powder and if you see any off-colored (usually light brown) grains that is a sign of deterioration and such powder should not be used.

Comment

Del I probably will never open the like new pound can but the big cannister has been open for many years. Bangs as good as ever. Never noticed the off color or detected that odd smell often associated with old powder gone bad.
              My old friend Bud knew Bruce. I remember him telling me a story about Bruce's supply of powder catching on fire way back when which almost put him out of business. You might remember the details. He also had P.O. build a rifle or two for him. Once he phoned Mr. Ackley's shop and described a wildcat he had dreamed up and wanted built. P.O. apparently patiently listened to the request and then replied something like "Why don't you just shoot a 7 x 57 as it is almost the same thing that you are ordering?"
              He took the advice.

Comment

A few years ago one of their employees was lost when a parked trailer load of powder went up with him in it.

Comment

I've got a pound of 3031 that was given to me by an old gentleman who dispersing his reloading equipment. It is well over 40 years old. Still fires smartly.

Comment

I looked at the logs inside my two powder safes. There are odds and ends 50 60 years old. Appear to be as good as me. Which may not be saying much.

Comment

Good post, I bought out a guys reloading supplies a few years back and was debating tossing some of the older opened powder, but it has been stored well, so I will have to reconsider since it sounds like it still may be usable.

Comment

Agreed with Del in KS answer above and A + 1 for you sir!!!

Comment

many years ago I was given eight plain steel gallon size
                          "paint thinner" type cans with "h4831" on them. I have long believed them to be from the WWII surplus lot.
                          It still does the same job for me as when I first got it.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad