Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

hey i'm thinking about buying a new rifle. a nice one. im willing to pay over 1000 dollars for it. i was wondering if i should b

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hey i'm thinking about buying a new rifle. a nice one. im willing to pay over 1000 dollars for it. i was wondering if i should b

hey i'm thinking about buying a new rifle. a nice one. im willing to pay over 1000 dollars for it. i was wondering if i should buy the synthetic stock with the stainless steel. or a wooden stock. what are the pros and cons.

Depends on where you are hunting. If you are hunting in rugged country get a synthetic otherwise id go with wood.

Comment

I would go with a synthetic stock.

Comment

Synthetic lasts longer, but wood looks better and usually has better balance.

Comment

have you alloted some cash for the scope, rings, gun case, ammo, and cleaning gear? Might want some decent binoculars, too. You don't want to go scanning the area with the scope on your gun.

Comment

Synthetic is durable but an eyesore so go with wood if you like your guns that look good. A grand will get you a nice Kimber like mine. You can see it in my photo file-just click my username and go to page 2 of the photo file. Click to enlarge for a better look at the wood. BTW if you plan to use a scope (who doesn't) make sure to get a quality scope and rings. Cheap rings can actually damage the finish on any scope. If you get blue steel and have it Cerakoted (like mine is) at Ultracoatingsinc it will be more rustproof than stainless steel and very pleasing to the eye. The scope is a Leupold VX III 3.5 X 10 with matte finish. You didn't mention caliber but if its for deer and simular sized game the 25-06 is an outstanding choice. A wood stocked gun will appreciate in value while synthetics rarely do according to Dave?.

Comment

MLH you don't have to worry about my money. i have a nice gun case. i don't have to worry about buying the ammo. i have a scope. scope rings aren't going to cost me much compared to the gun. im 14. all i have to do is buy the gun and the scope. and i already have the scope.

Comment

If you plan to go synthetic I recommend against the injected molded stocks and go with a composite fiber stock. The composites are much better all around: durability, balance, finish, etc..

Comment

Get an E.R. Shaw custom with a laminated stock. More durable than solid wood, and just about as stable as synthetic. Looks nice too.

Comment

wood looks better but synthetic doesnt flex or crack as easy, so it would probably be more accurate, plus synth is lighter.

Comment

i know most people will say a wood stock. but i really love a syn stock.

Comment

For that money. i'd buy a Kimber for sure. I like wood myself, but it is more affected by weather, swelling in wet weather could affect accuracy. Synthetic stocks are lighter and more stable.

Comment

You know I'd still stick with my Remington 700 or Winchester MDL 70 I like the Laminant or the composite stock, like someone said stay away from the injection molded stocks they are cheap and not well fitted. I have a MDL 70 Coyote in a 25 WSSM That has a laminated stock and shoots great. Also some Ruger 77s also Lam/SS. I don't like the wood stocks because they seem to get dinged and scratched up easier.

Comment

Custom rifle builder Kenny Jarret says, "Accuracy doesn't grow on a tree..." The comments above are true. It depends on what you like. Synthetic and stainless make a very good weather resistant combo. Laminated stocks do hold sway over "tupperware" style injection molded. I like wood on a gun, nothing like the feel and warmth of wood on a good rifle! But, I own hunting rifles wearing synthetic stocks and some in stainless also. If it is a nasty day or if I think conditions warrant the synthetic that is the way I go. On a pretty day, I'll take a wood stocked rifle in a minute.

Comment

Just checking. Some people don't consider all the costs. Glad to see you have.

People will run their eyes and fingers over a fine wood stock with lust in their eyes. As Beekeeper says, there is a feel and warmth to it. A wood stock develops its own character over the years. The dents and scratches tell stories.

A synthetic stock doesn't draw you in. But a good synthetic has its place. A good one will handle most anything you throw at it in most any condition. It says this gun is a tool, and a fine one, and you can take pride in that.

If this is a rifle that will become a legacy to pass onto your kid someday, then I'd say go with a wood. If it is purely a hunting machine that will see some abuse then a synthetic. For that money, I'd consider a Kimber, too. I'd also look at the new Winchester Model 70.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad