Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

In your opinions, what is the most versatile rifle caliber. if you were going to shoot all kinds of north american game, and you

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• John Ellis
    replied
    I think it is all personal preference as to what you trust to do the job. As far as "power" goes I find it does not matter until you get up to moose and bear. I say this because before I could shoot for myself I witnessed my dad take down the biggest white tale of his life with a 243. I have also seen my sister drop an elk with a 280 using one well placed shot. I use a 30-06 and it takes down elk just the same as the 280.

Leave a comment:

• John Ellis
    replied
    Originally posted by John Maurice McCormick View Post
    Ruger 10/22.
    1. Carry a lot more rounds extremely easily.
    2. Lighter Weight.
    3. Greater Chance of Survivability if in a "stranded" or "life or death" situation. Due to Lighter Weight and more rounds.
    4. With a proper Head Shot there is not a species in North America that you can not kill with a "One Shot One Kill" Shot!
    5. Very Easy to Service.
    6. In an "Armageddon" scenario almost every gun owner in America could help by "sharing" or "selling" ammo.

There is no reason a Ruger 10/22 should not win out over a heavy caliber gun in this or any of these situations!!!
    The question is about hunting not self defense, and if you are hunting normally you don't want to shoot the game in the head.

Leave a comment:

• Ryno6613
    replied
    25-06. Truly an under-rated caliber. It comes in a wide variety of weights. It's highly customizable if you load your own. It's fast, so it carries a high muzzle energy, a flat trajectory, and ultimately makes for a hard hitting, accurate round. It's also small so it won't demolish small game but still take down large game.

Leave a comment:

• John Maurice McCormick
    replied
    Ruger 10/22.
    1. Carry a lot more rounds extremely easily.
    2. Lighter Weight.
    3. Greater Chance of Survivability if in a "stranded" or "life or death" situation. Due to Lighter Weight and more rounds.
    4. With a proper Head Shot there is not a species in North America that you can not kill with a "One Shot One Kill" Shot!
    5. Very Easy to Service.
    6. In an "Armageddon" scenario almost every gun owner in America could help by "sharing" or "selling" ammo.

There is no reason a Ruger 10/22 should not win out over a heavy caliber gun in this or any of these situations!!!

Leave a comment:

• ppjwb
    replied
    The Question was; "In your opinions, what is the most versatile rifle caliber. if you were going to shoot all kinds of north american game, and you could only have one rifle. what would you pick?"....My answer is....If you could have only one rifle for all North American game would be the 30.06 because you can buy 55gr bullets and 125 gr(Remington bullet ballistics chart) for varmints and small game up to medium game150gr bullets to 220gr bullets for heavy game.A 300 or 338 does not offer that type of versatility.sniper central.com says 30.06 is the most famous cartridge.so if you can have one rifle,it would be 30.06 .he asked which is the most versatile not the most powerful.do you really want to take small game with a 300 or 338,you can with 30.06 with a 55gr or 125gr bullet

Leave a comment:

• rudyglove27
    replied
    Agree with Beekeeper answer above and A + 1 for you sir!!!

Leave a comment:

• Anthony Sabella
    replied
    Been around since Warren Page was the most famous person in Chappaqua NY. I have rifles from .22 hornet to 45-70. If forced to pick only one, 30-06 would be it. Remember recoil may well be a factor for the casual hunter.

Leave a comment:

• Christian Emter
    replied
    30/06 or a 300. 308 are good they just don't reach out there at 300 yards on an elk.

Leave a comment:

• rocky d bashaw
    replied
    30-06 hands down

Leave a comment:

• Reid Jones
    replied
    Yeah but wouldnt a .308 or a 300 win mag. do the same job as the 30-06? if not better.

Leave a comment:

• shane
    replied
    the .45-70 can and has been used on everything everywhere, including the African Big Five.

Leave a comment:

• Beekeeper
    replied
    A 30/06 would be terribly hard to beat!

Leave a comment:

• CPT BRAD
    replied
    338 It'll kill anything walking N. America and most other continents.

Leave a comment:

• teufelhunden
    replied
    .300 ultra mag.

Leave a comment:

• streack
    replied
    .45-70, you can load it with so many different combinations of powder charges and bullet weights that it can be used to effectively kill any NA game animal without destroying meat.

Leave a comment:

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad