Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hey I'm looking into getting a new whitetail rifle. I own a Marlin model 30AW 30/30 with a camouflage sling and a Simmons 3-9 X

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hey I'm looking into getting a new whitetail rifle. I own a Marlin model 30AW 30/30 with a camouflage sling and a Simmons 3-9 X

Hey I'm looking into getting a new whitetail rifle. I own a Marlin model 30AW 30/30 with a camouflage sling and a Simmons 3-9 X 40 scope on it. We bought the rifle brand new. I've probably gone through about 30 shots with it. It's in near perfect condition. I was wondering if you guys could give me an idea on how much i should be selling it for, and yes I will be selling the scope and sling. Also, I want to buy a new rifle. The 30/30 doesn't allow me much range. Where I hunt, I can take up to 300 yard shots and the Marlin just can't accurately hit deer when they're that far out there. I was looking into a Ruger M77 Hawkeye .243 cal. I don't want to buy anything bigger than a .270. If you have any recommendations on rifles that you think would be better to buy than the one I am looking into, please say.

Your 30-30 will make up a great backup rifle! As for the 243, I would go for the 25-06 instead and you’re still able to take Elk with it. 25-06 out performs the 243 all the way around especially in crosswind and still without the kick!!

Comment

yeah but I think a Ruger would be a better gun overall. And I'm only going to be shooting whitetail, coyotes, and maybe antelope. Thanks. Any suggestions on how much I should be selling the 30-30 for? And I need to sell the 30-30 to raise enough money for the new rifle! hah. I'm 14, it's hard to get that much money. But I'm sure willing to pay over 1000 dollars for a gun that I can use for the rest of my life.

Comment

Ruger is a good gun. I'd go with a .270 or .25-06.

Comment

Why a 25-06? what is the advantage of having that over a 243?

Comment

I have a new ruger hawkeye in .270 and an older model ruger tang safety .270. Both are great guns for what I spent on them.
            I also have a 25-06 on my Thompson Center encore, which I just got, and I really like it for the recoil is negligible.

Comment

Reid, the 25/06 is better mainly because of slightly larger bullet diameter, allows you to shoot heavier bullets. Also the bigger case allows more powder. So, shooting the same bullet weight, say 100gr. the .25-06 will shoot it faster and with more energy than the .243 . BTW give you $100 for the Marlin

Comment

.270 Winchester, minimum, for big whitetails and elk! Unless of course, you reload your own bullets and can shoot a tick off an ass's ass, running uphill with wind blowing in your face and the sun in your eyes, then you might go smaller.

Comment

thanks for all the posts

Comment

Ruger Hawkeye in 25/06. Great long range ballistics and a better selection of bullets than the .243.

Comment

Agreed with Beekeeper answer above and A + 1 for you sir!!!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad