Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

is the super short mags any betterthan there big brother?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• is the super short mags any betterthan there big brother?

is the super short mags any betterthan there big brother?

They have not received as warm a reception as thier larger siblings. The super shorts have a reputation for poor feeding.

Comment

I want to compose a long intelligent answer, but cannot. So the short answer is...no.

Comment

WSM’s and WSSM’s are designed by those who campout at the Marriott Hotel!

WSM's and WSSM's are nothing but a fad idea!

Comment

Describe 'better.' Shorter, more rigid action, Yes. More $ and harder to find out-of-town, Yes. My opinion, give me my .270Win and keep your .270WSM.

Comment

Someone said if you are looking for a new .300 mag consider the short one but if you already have a good .300 mag be happy with it. The shorts must have advantages but I fail to see them since most of the rifles weigh about the same as the standard magnums, the action length hardly matters, I suppose the action is a little more rigid but I can't tell in the field, and the shorts' ballistics suffer a little in most comparisions. If you like um get um if you don't just keep shootin what ya got. In the long run only the .300 WSM and maybe the .270 WSM will survive, some of the others are already all but gone.

Comment

I researched the reloading books and cannot bring myself in buying a WSM or WSSM. Shorter action equals less magazine capacity and bulky pockets!! The 300 Win Mag I had I was able to get much more than the short & fat cases ever possibly can. Besides, I love the 300 Win Mag, they make good 338 Win Mag cases!!!

Comment

NO NOT AT ALL. Most of the "Standard Mags" have been around for about 50 years and have killed everything on every continent. There is nothing out there that will beat my 300 or 338 win mag on nearly anything. You want to go smaller? Shoot the Weatherbys they still smoke anything out there after 50 years. You can't improve perfection you can only change the rapper.

And oh by the way magazines sell copies by touting the newer, faster, better than by actually giving honest comparisons against the old stand bys. That's it I said it, there it is

CB

Comment

Heh heh wrapper. Or actually the person actually talking up the cartrigde so maybe I was right after all.

Comment

I feel that the short mags are a way for the manufacturers to try to sale more guns. They say that that they are the NEW, faster, better shooting mags. The ammo costs more and the ballistics are very comparable, so to me what is the point of buying a new short mag when the old one will do just as good if not better.

Comment

Since when do us guys like anything "Short and Fat"? I certainly won't buy any of these Super Short Stubby Magnunms for fear that in a few years they'll be out of production and ammo will be both difficult to find and expensive.

Comment

Agreed with Beekeeper answer above and A + 1 for you sir!!!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad