Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What are the plus/minuses of bolt action rifles?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What are the plus/minuses of bolt action rifles?

What are the plus/minuses of bolt action rifles?

Some will say bolt guns are more accurate, perhaps so? Then my question is why my M1A and M1 Garand do better than a lot of 300 Win Mags on the 1000 yard line!
    Real advantages of a bolt gun?
    If you reload, you can maximize the cartridge potential by using the full spectrum of propellants and a bolt is more reliable under serious conditions such as extreme cold and other environmental conditions. My 25-05 is pushing factory 257 Weatherby Magnum and my 30-06 is at 300 WSM this is where the bolt gun comes into play! Maximizing the cartridges ability to tailor your loads for your own liking.
    Real advantages of an auto?
    You can follow up faster with a second shot and keep focused on the target. If you’re a southpaw, this is a good choice to name a few.
    Disadvantage of a bolt gun is where an auto would be more suitable.
    Disadvantage of an auto is the ability to maximize the cartridge. You’re stuck within a range of burning rates of the propellant used thus limiting the cartridge and rifle ability full potential. Too much pressure at the gas port will cause serious damage and possible injury even death and too lower pressure will not function properly.
    Without knowing, had a friend drop one of my 30-06 190 grainers in his Remington Auto. Kicked the snot out of him, the casing flew way out yonder and I’m surprised the extractor wasn’t busted, it ripped the base almost off!

Comment

^this guy answered it all but just to highlight. In cold weather, I would deffinantly use a bolt action and if I need a quick follow up shot, bolt actions may not be an option.

Comment

plus-accuracy
        minus-slower rate of fire

Comment

adding to what has already been mentioned, most rifles these days are bolt action so it gives the consumer a large supply to choose from (manufacturer, caliber, etc).

Comment

Bolt guns can withstand more abuse and dirty conditions. When you neglect your semi-auto and don't clean it often, I guarantee that someday it will not fire when you pull the trigger on the buck of a lifetime.

Comment

+ accuracy accuracy accuracy superior reliability

-rate of fire

Comment

Accuracy has to be one of the most important parts of hunting. However, semi-autos are great for self defense because of the higher rate of fire.

Comment

Chad, I will take issue with your comment on the follow up being quicker on a semi-auto than a bolt gun. A trained and practiced rifleman will cycle the bolt while the gun is in recoil. When the sight picture is reaquired the shot is fired. The semi auto shooter must hold on and wait while the gun is in recoil and then fire once the sight picture is reaquired. While the bolt gun operator may be busier than the semi auto shooter, the rate of fire will be very close if not the same.

I am also a lefty and have owned several semi autos (BAR and Rem 742). The recoil from each rifle was just as potent as that of a bolt gun in the same chambering. The time off target due to recoil was the same between each gun also.

I do agree with you in that one can extract all a cartridge has to give by using a bolt gun. One can also handload reduced loads which might otherwise give a semiauto fits. One type may out shoot the other on any given day depending on how a rifle is tuned and set up. The skill of the operator also plays a role in this.

The BAR I owned was just as accurate as any bolt gun I've owned. We won't talk about the Woodsblaster... I prefer the bolt action for any of the reasons already mentioned. I do not feel that I'm under gunned with one and will also take the side of the one well aimed shot being worth more in the sporting world than spraying lead all over the place. We are after all hunting, not clearing the streets of Hue City or Bagdad.

Comment

I agree with beekeeper, I use a bold action and using the bolt makes me take more time in accuacy of shooting. I have control of everyting going on, and there is less moving parts to go wrong in the field.

Comment

plus is accuracy and reliability!
                      the con is the rate of fire!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Rest Easy
                        by FirstBubba
                        jimbo don't like me. LOL! 😉! I caught him and called his hand....
                        Today, 07:26 PM
                      • Rest Easy
                        by jhjimbo
                        Rest easy 2nd amendment, you are safe now - for the time being....
                        Yesterday, 08:55 PM
                      • Reply to More on crawfishin' lightfoot lindsey grahm
                        by FirstBubba
                        Talk about caught twixt a rock and a hard spot!
                        Never did like Graham. He just looks cheesy to me.

Did appreciate what Graham did for...
                        Today, 07:18 PM
                      • More on crawfishin' lightfoot lindsey grahm
                        by crm3006
                        Wow: Lindsey Graham Refuses to Issue Big Tech Subpoenas

Un-be-lievable.

Lindsey Graham swore up and down that he would
                        Today, 05:22 PM
                      • Reply to Rest Easy
                        by jhjimbo
                        I have blocked several that do not post anything worth reading, off topic wrong information, or pivoting on a thread.
                        The site is much more enjoyable...
                        Today, 07:02 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X