Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What are the plus/minuses of semi-auto rifles?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rudyglove27
    replied
    plus is accuracy and reliability!
    the con is the rate of fire!

Leave a comment:

• rudyglove27
    replied

Leave a comment:

• rudyglove27
    replied

Leave a comment:

• rudyglove27
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Greg Arnold
    replied
    I shot an accurized M-1 in the Coast Guard when shooting competitively and beat my 200 and 300 yard scores with a Model 70 Winchester in .300 H&H. Reloading was definitely a beyotch though.

Leave a comment:

• mutt
    replied
    I don’t know about rifles but my Remington 1100 shotgun makes my ears ring more than my 870

Leave a comment:

• Beekeeper
    replied
    Excepting Clay's finely tuned match rifles of known pedigree. Most folks don't own that type of semi auto nor do they typically hunt with one. Clay you are definitely not typical...

My experience with over the counter semi autos has been mixed. I once owned a BAR that would compete with any bolt gun. I also had another BAR that was so so. The one Remington 742 Woodsblaster I had gave 3-4 inch groups with any ammo it was fed.

Negatives:

Typically poor triggers (poundage, creep, overtravel, etc.) on production rifles. Again excepting Clay's match rifles.

Don't like dirt...

Don't like reduced loads or Clay's home brew...

Beat up brass and toss it a long way, i.e. not handloader friendly.

Usually have a recommended bullet weight/pressure range for most efficient operation.

Leave a comment:

• kyle7735
    replied
    +rate of fire

-accuracy depending on the gun
    reliability
    unless you keep it clean it will not work
    and by clean i mean fully field stripped and cleaned
    not just down barrel

Leave a comment:

• Walt Smith
    replied
    With a semiautomatic you have the best of both worlds. My remington 740 is more accurate than my savage 110E which will hold 1 inch groups at 100 yds.That says a lot. My 740 can also rip off 5 rounds in less than 4 seconds, Accurately. you can't do that with a bolt or a lever. Semi autos are also easier and safer to load and unload, and when your done hunting you don't have a pocket full of loose cartridges, they're all nice and neat and protected in their magazine.

Leave a comment:

• bonnier-admin_2
    replied
    Some will say bolt guns are more accurate, perhaps so? Then my question is why my M1A and M1 Garand do better than a lot of 300 Win Mags on the 1000 yard line!
    Real advantages of a bolt gun?
    If you reload, you can maximize the cartridge potential by using the full spectrum of propellants and a bolt is more reliable under serious conditions such as extreme cold and other environmental conditions. My 25-05 is pushing factory 257 Weatherby Magnum and my 30-06 is at 300 WSM this is where the bolt gun comes into play! Maximizing the cartridges ability to tailor your loads for your own liking.
    Real advantages of an auto?
    You can follow up faster with a second shot and keep focused on the target. If you’re a southpaw, this is a good choice to name a few.
    Disadvantage of a bolt gun is where an auto would be more suitable.
    Disadvantage of an auto is the ability to maximize the cartridge. You’re stuck within a range of burning rates of the propellant used thus limiting the cartridge and rifle ability full potential. Too much pressure at the gas port will cause serious damage and possible injury even death and too lower pressure will not function properly.
    Without knowing, had a friend drop one of my 30-06 190 grainers in his Remington Auto. Kicked the snot out of him, the casing flew way out yonder and I’m surprised the extractor wasn’t busted, it ripped the base almost off!

Leave a comment:

• MLH
    started a topic What are the plus/minuses of semi-auto rifles?

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Rip -rbg
    by 99explorer
    I just learned of a CIA report that Vladimir Putin himself is directing the Russian interference in our 2020 Presidential election, which was crowded...
    Today, 09:09 PM
  • Rip -rbg
    by fitch270
    2020 adding to it's bag of tricks....
    09-18-2020, 09:26 PM
  • Reply to Bows
    by PigHunter
    I hear ya! I finally got around to adjusting the new sight on my 90's vintage PSE. It's been restrung too. I've used a crossbow for the last 7 seasons...
    Today, 08:45 PM
  • Bows
    by Danbo
    Started practicing with my bow.
    The deer don't stand a chance 😎
    Today, 08:23 PM
  • Reply to Rip -rbg
    by Pmacc60
    The public can focus on two different things at once ! Again liberal nonsense , put it out there and we can see what the president is planning for the...
    Today, 08:43 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
Working...
X