Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What are the plus/minuses of single shot rifles? Modern break and falling block.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What are the plus/minuses of single shot rifles? Modern break and falling block.

What are the plus/minuses of single shot rifles? Modern break and falling block.

Generally very accurate, very strong action, extremely reliable, easy to maintain. They also make for a very short, handy rifle. Also they are usually pretty light. This is good, until you get a scope cut.

They aren't so good for a quick follow up, but you can get pretty fast with practice. Really, your practice should be in shooting well enough to not need a second shot.

Comment

Simplicity and reliability are big pluses. But I think the biggest is that single shots can be 3-5 inches shorter than other action types even with the same barrel length. This makes them lighter and easier to carry. The big minus is that there is only one shot, but if you are a good shot that is all you need.

Comment

Most single shots have a classic look and feel. One shot makes one concentrte on the task at hand. Typically they have longer barrels extracting all a cartridge has to offer.

Comment

Agreed with Beekeeper answer above and A + 1 for you sir!!!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Debate #1
            by crm3006
            Here ya go, bandicoot. Another flattering meme about you dementia suffering hero.

Today, 10:59 PM
          • Debate #1
            by FirstBubba
            Debate #1 is supposedly a go.
            Not sure if Biden will get his "fact checker" or not. Probably not. If the fact checkers are honest, it...
            Yesterday, 08:42 PM
          • Reply to Debate #1
            by crm3006
            From the bandicoot: "Keep it up!"

I will for shore. Don't worry yore lil' pea brain 'bout that!
            Today, 10:57 PM
          • Reply to Debate #1
            by 99explorer
            Keep it up!
            Today, 10:46 PM
          • Reply to Couldn't help it. Picked up a NEF Handi in .243
            by Buckshott00
            Well my count was a little off when I took full account.

While messing with my Ranch rifle, I took off the scope on my .280 and on one of...
            Today, 10:45 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
          Working...
          X