Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is there a difference between muzzleloader scopes and rifle scopes? If so, what is the difference?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is there a difference between muzzleloader scopes and rifle scopes? If so, what is the difference?

Is there a difference between muzzleloader scopes and rifle scopes? If so, what is the difference?

Got be difference, never had a scope stand up to my muzzle loader except those like Leupold etc.

I do know the harmonic shock air rifles have play hell on even some of the more expensive rifle scopes.

Comment

@Clay. I have a Gamo Big cat with a nitro piston. It destroyed the factory scope in about 40 rounds. It was replaced with a centerpoint 1.5 - 6 illuminated scope that worked so well that I put another on my muzzle loader. It has stood the test of time. The scopes came from Pyramid air.

Comment

i had put a rifle scope on my muzzle loader and ive got scoped like 6 or 7 times i switched to a muzzleloader scope and havent got scoped yet i only use leupold scopes

Comment

How true this is, I don't know.
          Read somewhere (?) that rifle scopes have the parallax(sp?) set at the factory at 100 yards. For ML scopes, the parallax is set at 50 yards.
          Longer shots are expected with the rifle, therefore longer parallax setting!
          Like I say, read long ago, info kind of obscure now. No idea of source!
          With this info, Clay might have some "other" input as to reason!
          I've also heard of the "recoil" problem.
          MG side mounted a Weaver K4 on his T/C Hawken. Shot it for YEARS like that with never a scope problem!

Bubba

Comment

FirstBubba, I have heard of that too. Who knows if that is still being done, since some muzzleloaders now can cleanly take down animals at around 200 yards with the right load.

I shouldn't be one to talk though. On my CVA Optima, I went cheap and put on a Simmons 8 Point 3-9x40, which retails for about 40 bucks. Had it extra on hand from some package gun I bought years ago. Figured it would be a fun experiment to see how long it would take to break. That 40 dollar scope is still going strong, and I am definitely surprised. Hell my dad bought one and put it on his .300 RSAUM.

Comment

Strange how some folks can nail junk on junk and come out ahead! Myself, I've put top notch together before and it just wouldn't work!! LOL!! Just my luck!
              I've also done the junk on junk thing to that would dot eyeballs!!!
              Sometimes, no matter how hard you work at it, it just comes together!! LOL!!

Bubba

Comment

muzzleloader may have a ballistic reticle for that of a certain powder and bullet weight.

Comment

Tell me about it FirstBubba. I bought that CVA Optima that was on clearance at a shop I used to work at. Bought it for $49.97, and the Simmons scope I had came off a used Rossi I bought for the fiance.

Keeps just shy of 1 inch groups shooting 3 pellets of Triple 7, and 245 gr. Powerbelts. Shot plenty of does with it too. I would say I came out ahead on the deal.

Comment

Firstbubba and whitetailfreek nailed it. Scopes for muzzleloaders and rimfire rifles usually have the parallax set for 50 yards at the factory, whereas most high power rifle scopes have the parallax set for 100 yards. There are scopes available for long range shooting with adjustable parallax and at least Leupold if not others will set the parallax at a custom distance for you for a fee.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Medicaid Comes to Oklahoma
                      by rock rat
                      OK Angus, you got me there. No argument about the schools.

"​​​​​​government run daycare that teaches kids what to think...
                      Today, 09:35 PM
                    • Medicaid Comes to Oklahoma
                      by rock rat
                      A little mentioned ballot measure passed in Oklahoma. Medicaid Expansion as it's called.

I've forgotten the details, and apologies if I...
                      07-01-2020, 11:02 PM
                    • Reply to Bad news on the COVID-19 front
                      by rock rat
                      CRM what you say makes a lot of sense, and the number of tests has doubled in 21 days as have the number of people testing positive. There's one more...
                      Today, 09:26 PM
                    • Bad news on the COVID-19 front
                      by Ontario Honker Hunter
                      New cases and hospitalizations ballooned this week in several states including Texas, Oklahoma, California, and Mississippi. Hospitals in Houston are...
                      06-24-2020, 08:09 PM
                    • Reply to Either Way...
                      by fitch270
                      We've been keeping a better inventory on things and have whittled down on "old stock" that's been sitting on the pantry shelves and in the freezer....
                      Today, 09:17 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X