Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My boy seems to be a lefty, and he's several years away from hunting age. I'm a righty. What type of action, other than Single-s

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

KMB33 - did you mean 37 or BPS instead of 870? 870 loads from the bottom but ejects from the side.

Comment

I have a BPS but the recoil is heavy for a lil' boy. Am really looking for a rifle.

Comment

i faced that problem to. i am 12 and the best bet would be a single shot or the browning bps shotgun because it has bottom ejection.

Comment

MLH the righty ejection. the shell would be close to hitting you in the face.

Comment

Short action or long, I don't think it even matters, if the weight of the rifle, length of bolt stroke, overall rifle length, etc. are all considered. I see and hear all kinds of reasons to select the short (really meaning medium length) action but in the field I fail to see an advantage. Go with the standard or long action and the .25 or .270. If life does not bless you with extreme happiness it will not be because of this rifle choice.

Comment

Ishawooa, Life has blessed me with extreme happiness, both because of rifle choice(my .30-06 savage), and otherwise. I have been looking for an excuse to buy a .25 caliber rifle, actually., or a .260

Comment

I am not recommending a shotgun, just thinking KMB inadvertently wrote down the wrong model number.

TheEasternShore - most 870's are right hand, but left-handed versions are available. Plus there are some left-hand shooters that prefer right-hand eject shotguns for fast chamber loading (drop shell directly into chamber with right hand rather than push into magazine).

Steve - let me propose an alternative. I think most American kids are entralled by lever actions and want to shoot them. They also have the eyes for iron sights. Might consider pulling the scope and mounts and putting on a Lyman/Marble tang mount peep sight (really cool) or a Williams receiver peep sight (really functional).

Recoil of a .30-30 compared to a .243 is pretty close. Many of us started off with a M94 in .30-30 or .32 Win Spec. Though, some of the real old guys might have even started off with a .25-35 or black powder rounds. Even with my 50 year old nearsighted eyes, I am quite happy with the Williams sights on my M94s. Lightweight, easy to carry, maneuverable, effective, fun, and you can see when the hammer is cocked. You might find it quite usable yourself.

The Hornady LeverEvolution ammo might provide more confidence in longer shots. But, I'd use standard ammo so he learns to hunt closer and take calculated shots. Also an opportunity to break him in on reloading. Of course, you would need a new scoped rifle to use as a backup, just in case.

Comment

Steve - I am with you on the .260Rem!

Comment

Now this gun is a bit expensive but will be PERFECT. Remingotn 105 cti. It is a auto loading shotgun that ejects shells from the bottom. It is beatiful.

Comment

Both pum and lever guns would be perfect for this situation. Get one of the Remington pump-action rifles or a Marlin lever-action. I don't think the scope would work for both of you (even if you were both right-handed shooters) because every body shoots and holds guns differntly. You should just get two identicle rifles.

Comment

If you're considering rifles BOTH of you can use, the Winchester Model 94 lever action is a top ejector. Single shot options would be the Ruger #1, the discontinued #3, and the Thompson-Center Encore all of which are ambidextrous. The Ithaca Model 37 shotgun is a bottom ejector. If you want a dedicated left-hand rifle or shotgun, Remington offers left hand versions of their popular Model 700 rifle and 870 shotgun, but they're not as readily found on the used market.

Comment

I'd go with a M94 Trapper that's what I started with and they are great guns that won't hit him as it is a top eject. Mounting a scope on it will be a pain. I like the Williams peep sights myself. As for bolt guns I'm with Clay, by him something that he will be able to use his whole life, Remington has several youth rifles and left hands that you can get a youth stock for and put the other one in the closet till he gets taller. I'd go with 25-06, 25 WSSM, 7-08, or a 308. The last three are short actions with the first just a standard action and you really won't gain any appreciable weight with another half inch or so of bolt.

Comment

Get your son a left-handed rifle so that it ejects to the left side.

Comment

Agreed with rrmont answer above and A + 1 for you sir!!!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad