Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My boy seems to be a lefty, and he's several years away from hunting age. I'm a righty. What type of action, other than Single-s

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My boy seems to be a lefty, and he's several years away from hunting age. I'm a righty. What type of action, other than Single-s

My boy seems to be a lefty, and he's several years away from hunting age. I'm a righty. What type of action, other than Single-shot could we both shoot efficiently and w/out being hit with ejected shells? I was thinking a lever or pump, but am not sure if the shells will hit him when they eject. Also will the scope which would be sighted-in to my right eye dominance work for him if he's left eye dominant? Any Help, especially from you real shooters(you know who you are), is appreciated.

If you shot a lever, pump or auto you shouldn't have to worry about getting hit at all. My brother is a righty but he is left eye dominate so he shots lefty. He had a Rem .270 auto and now has a Browning BLR 300 mag. Now I dont' know if we got lucky or not but I have sighted in both of them for him and I'm a righty. He shoots them just fine and has never complained about the gun being off.

Comment

A gun that is sighted in is sighted in.

Comment

WIthe rifles you are kinda stuck w/s.s. but for shot guns you have the Browning BPS and Ithata mod. 37 both bottom load and eject, also there is the new Remington 105 CTi which is a bottom load/eject auto I haven't shot the new remington, but it could be an option, with the scope concern shouldn't be an issue, a zeroed scope is a zeroed scope, my wife is R.H., but L.Eyed she shoots my scoped guns L.H. just fine, also for rifles, as long as not an auto can dodge spent casings as long as a quiick follow up is not required, but if He is indeed a lefty you may just have to invest in a left handed model for him, moderately inconvient but for him to get the most out of hunting and shooting as a lefty, you might have to make some concessions, I have girls and had to go with lighter guns and shorter barrels so they could be included. Most importantly regardless get him in the field whatever it takes!!!!!!!

Comment

sorry another flub ITHACA, Meant ITHACA!!!! good lord

Comment

Some levers side eject, some top eject thus making scope-mounting a pain, I have one, but want a lighter caliber for him. I have heard younger shooters who shoot pumps lefty say the shell ALMOST hits them. Don't want to freak the kid out. Obviously i don't want to buy a left bolt because i want to "borrow" the rifle till he's old enough to shoot it.

Comment

You can get lever actions that eject the shells from the top instead of the side, the problem with that is that if you want to mount a scope on it, it would have to be farther up so the empty shells dont hit the scope.

Comment

My dad was a lefty who settled on the BAR in '06 and a M-37 Ithaca in 12 ga. He never complained about either one being a bother plus he never reversed the safety on the M-37.I suppose a Brownig BLR in an appropriate caliber choice would be sufficient if you can learn to tolerate that horrible trigger. You are not likely to find an old M-88 or Finnwolf plus if you did the price is usually more than I consider them to be worth. Of course a M-94 would work for either of you as countless lefties can attest since the empties, at least in all but some of the last ones called AEs, ejected upwards.

Comment

I forgot to add that if you do want to mount a scope on the M-94 you can get by using the long eye relief so called "scout" style scope and mount. I did this way back in about 1971 and personally did not care for the approach. A pump action is also a consideration as good as one of the semi-autos. Lastly I have a left eye dominant friend who is right handed. He simply uses a right handed bolt and somehow has practiced so much that he is pretty good with follow up shots.

Comment

Ishawooa, Thanks, the semi-auto is not an option because it is not legal to hunt with in Pa. I have a scope on my m94, its sidemounted, on the left side and a little awkward. I don't care for it or the scout option, hence i don't hunt with that rifle. The BLR would be great in .243 or 7mm/08 and may be the way i go in spite of the trigger. Or i will just but a rifle for me and let him adapt. Thanks for taking the time...

Comment

this is just what happend to me when I started hunting, I learned that I shot right handed even though I was left handed. Just have him see how shooting righty feels to him.

Comment

Ok let’s clear the table here, it’s time to put some sanity into this discussion because this Youngman requires quality equipment rather than let’s make do.

Remington makes several left handed youth rifles and if I had a Southpaw, I’d put him in a 25-06. My Grandson Alex is a super fly weight and handles my 700CDL 25-06 cradled in a Youth Ramline stock like a pro at age 9. This last season he shot a nice buck at 250 yards and moments later a doe at 150.

Comment

25-06 kick is like dry firing your rifle with a loud boom!

Comment

Clay, thanks, you are right, and i saw the pictures. Good shooting. His uncle teach'm? I guess I will just buy myself a rifle now, telling my wife it's for him. Then when he is ready i'll buy him a lefthanded bolt-action for his birthday or Christmas and say i got a good deal. That's the plan then. And i may go with a .25/06,but for him, i was thinking short action. Thanks for the insight

Comment

An 870 pump has a bottom ejector so you should be safe with that. Also i am lefty with a righty dad and i shot a deer through the heart with a scope set up for his right eye, while shooting lefty, at 100 yards so that worked for us to.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to 16 Years
                                by 99explorer
                                The latest rumors on the pandemic.
                                They have just discovered that drinking cow urine protects against COVID-19.
                                Who'd have thunk it?
                                Today, 10:38 PM
                              • 16 Years
                                by jhjimbo
                                So, if Biden wins the White House will have been under the control of black/brown for up to 16 years, yet they only represent about 13% of the population...
                                08-12-2020, 09:20 PM
                              • Reply to 16 Years
                                by 99explorer
                                I love it when I have these guys on the ropes, with each one hoping the other will bail them out.
                                Hey CRM, have you heard any good conspiracy theories
                                Today, 10:19 PM
                              • Reply to Need advice on choice of 20 gauge semi auto
                                by FirstBubba
                                "... I should have been in Africa yesterday. Damned coronavirus! ..."
                                Last edited by Ontario Honker Hunter; Today, 06:25 PM.
                                Today, 10:15 PM
                              • Need advice on choice of 20 gauge semi auto
                                by derek7
                                Hi everyone,

I have one question regarding how to choose the right shotgun for myself. I want a 20 gauge semi auto with interchangeable barrel...
                                08-11-2020, 09:03 AM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X