Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does anyone have a H&R handi rifle? How do you like it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does anyone have a H&R handi rifle? How do you like it?

Does anyone have a H&R; handi rifle? How do you like it?

My dad has a 223 Handi-Rifle and it can get 1/2 inch groups at 100 yards. It's very accurate and "handi" like its name says.

Comment

I have a 45-70 Handi Rifle put a fixed scope on it and It can be very handy to toss 405 grains of lead at anything...hogs, deer, elk, rabbits...paper. Its a light rifle so be ready for a stiff recoil if you go with a big cartridge but love my mine. Ejects the cases a country mile so watch it if you reload or are unloading a loaded round.

Comment

Got one in .223 it is great.

Comment

Super reliable, due to simplicity, and accurate, mostly due to simplicity. The scope is mounted metal on metal directly to the barrel. This is a good thing. Nothing to wiggle around and screw you up. The way the forearm is attached to the barrel pretty much eliminates all the complex crap that bolt rifle makers have to slave over. The action is really strong, and they chamber in just about everything you need for anything anywhere.

Comment

Very good little rifle. I have one with .223, 30/30 and 45/70 barrels. KDog70 is correct... with the 45/70 barrel in place it quite the little kicker. With the 30/30 barrel is a pushover. We use the set in our hunter ed classes to introduce kids to centerfire rifles. Since they can be carried broken they are extremely safe for the neophyte. We also use it as a loaner gun on youth hunts.

Since one can shoot pointed bullets from a 30/30 single shot, a handi rifle in that caliber with a suitable handload and spitzer bullet is quite a good little deer gun with a bit of added range. The 150 grain Nosler Ballistic Tip is one such bullet. Standard 30/30 ammo does quite well also.

Comment

I really don't like them for toting around in the woods, they are way to heavy and their barrel is to short to really reach out and touch the animals at a distance

Comment

I have one in 30-o6 and love it!!!

Comment

just bought a an H&R ultra rifle that came with a cheap bsa deer hunter scope. It is in 25-06 cal. with a 26" barre. Paid 200.00 used and it also came with a cheap scabbard so I think I got a pretty good deal. The rifle looks almost new to me with very little use. Going to take it out friday after Thanks Giving to test it. Mounting my older reliabe 3-9 x50 leupold vari xii for accuracy report. Stay tuned!

Comment

Sounds even better than your music, donovan.

Comment

bought a used ultra handy rifle in 25-06 cal. 26" heavy barrel. I mounted my own used 3-9x50 vari x II Leupold scope on this morning(Thanks Giving Day). I took the rifle out for the first time and I am very impressed. I used three rounds to center the scope and then took a three shot test at 100 yards. This gun is very accurate to me. I used a blanket and the soft rifle case for a rest and at 100 yards I hit inside 1.25" circle every shot no problem. I am sure this rifle will shoot under 1". 25-06 rounds are a bit hard to find though and are more expensive than standard .243, 308, 270 etc. I already LOVE this gun, and I paid only 200 bucks for it. (the leupold scope was not on the rifle it came with a cheap bsa deer hunter scope but It did come with a gun scabbord Couldnt go wrong for 200 very happy

Comment

Agreed with Beekeeper answer above and A + 1 for you sir!!!

Comment

I bought a .223 Handi "Rifle" with Christmas (2010) cash. I've never been so disappointed. I shot a box of factory loads that I had. I hand load, and worked up several loads, with Sierra, Hornady & Nosler bullets of varying weights, and a couple different (recommended) powders. I couldn't keep the groups on a 2'x3' target. Once in a while there were holes within 1/2", but repeatability was non-existent.

I put on my best scope - one that shoots consistent 1/4" groups through my 6mm. No significant improvement.

I sent it back to H&R. They said they would replace the barrel, which was discontinued 3 years ago. I just got it back. They didn't replace the barrel. They did a bit of other "tuning" and sent it back.

There was a "test fire" target that says "50 yds, 62 gr PSP". The five shot group is 1 1/4" wide, by 1 1/2 inch high. AT 50 YARDS!!! My .22's shoot better than that!

I'll give it a few more tries, but at this point I'd say I will never buy another, nor would I recommend it to anyone but the enemy.

Disappointing is hardly the word I'll use amongst friends!

Comment

Just needs a better trigger. I have the SB2 444 with an 8 lb trigger pull. From what I hear this is common.

Comment

Have the 223 and 45 colt barrels, 100 yard inch groups with the 223 and inch 45 colt at 50 yards using a red dot sight. 45-70 & 22 hornet along with a trigger job are next

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Trump Discusses Covid Statistics
                                by 99explorer
                                CRM - It would be nice if you could address the issues presented in opposing comments instead of deriding the person posting the comments.
                                Anybody
                                Today, 01:09 AM
                              • Trump Discusses Covid Statistics
                                by rock rat

​​​​​​[email protected]: “Oh, you’re doing death as a proportion of cases. I’m talking about death as a proportion of population....
                                Yesterday, 09:27 AM
                              • Reply to The George Floyd case.
                                by 99explorer
                                Dream on boys. We've all seen an actual cold-blooded murder take place on TV, and the kneeling cop will be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law....
                                Today, 12:57 AM
                              • The George Floyd case.
                                by FirstBubba
                                Body cam footage shows Floyd wasn't murdered. The cop kneeling on his neck might have been negligent, but his actions did not kill Floyd.
                                Minnesota...
                                Yesterday, 10:23 PM
                              • Reply to The George Floyd case.
                                by crm3006
                                My mistake, I didn't realize the Minnesota AG was going to prosecute. I thought it was U.S. Attorney Erica MacDonald. ellison being a muslim, there is...
                                Yesterday, 11:24 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X