Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

wich would be better for all around hunting/target shooting: 25-06rem., 270win., or 30-06spr.?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wich would be better for all around hunting/target shooting: 25-06rem., 270win., or 30-06spr.?

wich would be better for all around hunting/target shooting: 25-06rem., 270win., or 30-06spr.?

That is strictly a matter of personal opinion. All have proven themselves to be trustworthy cartridges that work well on a variety of game at distances out to about 300 yards. For hunting, my preference would be the .30/06 which can be loaded in bullet weights ranging from 120 grains up through 220 grains or so. All will take medium-sized North American game with a wimper. For target shooting I would probably choose the 25-06, and for dual-use I might choose the .270. Do your research and see what you think would be the best choose for your situation.

Comment

Take from OL'Sarge

What do you get when you cross a 22-250 with a 270 and a 30-06??

A 25-06!!!

Comment

It really does depend on what you want to hunt. I love the trajectories of the 06's but for all around versatility from prairie dogs to deer or bigger I would have to say the .270.

Comment

If I had my choice I would pick the .270 just because it can be used for most all big game.
          Like herbie said, it really matters on what your looking to hunt. For target shooting the 25-06 would probably be the way to go.

Comment

Opinions are like faces, everyone has a different one! I like the 25/06 for versatality. It will toss with great authority slugs from 85 grains up to 120 grains. It will do so with tolerable recoil and anything from scortching to reasonable velocity. While it is not an elk gun it will do in pinch. It will dispatch varmints of all sorts, antelope, deer and wild hogs as if they have been thunder struck. It shoots laser flat with light stuff and flatter with heavier bullets than a lot of cartridges derived from the 30/06 case. I consider it to be a coyote's worst nightmare. With the 100 grain slugs it is suited for anything from mice to deer.

Comment

I have used a 25-06 on everything from praire dogs to elk. Bought my first one some 45 years ago. Haven't had any problems downing elk. When you set up on a praire dog town and run through a thousand rounds, I don't think I would want anything bigger.

Comment

A versatile cartridge for targets and the Northeastern woods? I'd say the .308 or the 7mm-08. Both would be a fine choice for whitetail deer, there are and high accuracy potentials using .284 and .308 match bullets, and there are lighter bullets options for both cartridges if the shooter wants to tag varmints. Standard-size cartridges, such as the .25-06 and .270 Win, are also versatile and excellent choices - no dispute - but match bullets are not available for either of these cartridges, and there is a broader spectrum of bullets produced for both the 7mm and .30 than there are in .257 and .277, so it's not an easy choice...but that's how I'd call it: the .308 or 7mm-08.

Comment

30.06 will bring down any game animal in North America. F & S, posted an article I believe in the Dec issue where one of their writers brought his 30.06 to Africa and did very well there.It all depends on the ammo at that point, which with this caliber round there are more available in more places.

Comment

Honestly any of the calibers you named are very good choices. It mainly breaks down to the conditions you will be shooting, how frequent you will be shooting, and what you are shooting at. I own a 25.06, two .270's, and an older style 30.06 spr. I shoot the .270 the most of the 3 calibers for its reliability that it has proven to me. However, i will make a noble suggestion that I'm sure will catch a lot of flak on here by suggesting a .243! Many people think that sheer caliber size, grainage, and force are the only things that matter in target and hunting applications but accuracy is your most valuable ally. I own a Howa model 1500 ssbb/synthetic with a Weaver Grand-slam 6-20x40 from which i can keep a 4" group at 300 yds in most any condition. 100 grains loads are available as well as grains all the way down to 55 which screams at an amazing 3900 fps!! Not a lot of weight, but they are also polymer ballistic tips which give your target a good impact detonation, more deadly than a lead-cored mushroom impact. Any of the 3 you mentioned would be more than enough gun for most large animals in the U.S. but don't just get stuck up on caliber sizes. Happy hunting and good luck with your decision.

Comment

The best all around gun is a 30-06, it is one of the most versatile guns.

Comment

the 30-06 is the best all around. it is very reliable

Comment

Availability and cost of ammo is not as much a factor for deer hunting. How many are you going to shoot? But, since you want to target shoot, you might want to look at that. I have been buying Remington Core-Lokt for $15.47 per box. The .25-06 at the same store is around $10 more (I buy those too). I don't buy .270, so I haven't noticed, but I suspect about the same as .30-06 due to popularity.

Comment

Although I don't know that I'd hunt mice with it, Beekeeper is right about the 25-06 it is one of the most versitile guns out there. It will kill elk and it can even be used on PDs, Coyotes and bigger though that's where it really shines. It'll smoke a yote out to 300-400 yards very very dead.

Comment

all good

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad