Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ok i'm new on here but have already noticed several question about fireams for hunting. her is my question to all the readers if

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ok i'm new on here but have already noticed several question about fireams for hunting. her is my question to all the readers if

Ok i'm new on here but have already noticed several question about fireams for hunting. her is my question to all the readers if you was to only have 3 weapons to hunt anything and everything in North America what would they be. That asked here are my choices and my reasons why. First off .22 rimfire most of us grew up shooting these, they are great for any small game. and just plain target shooting. Sec .30-06 I know I know old school as heck but they can bring down any medium game to large game in North America ammo is very easy to buy any where and .30-06 ammo is avalible in a varity of weights. Third 12 gauge great for small game upland birds, ducks geese, skeet and makes a good home defence weapon as well. Now this is all opinion what are your choices for the perfect triple combo

if i could only have 3 guns i would get a good 12 gauge, an ar 15 in 308 or 450 bushmaster, and probably a 22 revolver

Comment

Really I don't think you too far off with the 3 you chose. The only difference I would through in there is I would take a .17 HMR over a .22 lr. The capabilities of this round still amaze me. It can take a coyote down but can still be used for squirrels. The other 2 I would stick with your choices.

Comment

wait mine or the other guy

Comment

I would take a .243 because it is very versatile, a 12 gauge, and definitely my handy dandy cap gun. No really my last choice would probably be a 17 HMR or a 22 rimfire.

Comment

I would have to agree with Herbie, 17HMR is very cool caliber. However, I think I would trade the .30-06 for my 7mm-08....I can't get enough of that gun! Also, I would obviously keep the 12 gauge in the lineup.

Comment

It sounds to me you already have the answer to the 3 choices of firearms the 22LR, 30-06 and 12 gauge. Yes sure you can try to fit your fancy with some other cartridge kinda like wanting a new 2009 GMC ¾ ton like I was looking at the other day. Yes the 6 speed transmission and 6 cd radio sounded appealing, I could not see trading my 2005 Silverado ¾ sixpack 4x4 in for a 2009 even if I have 75,000 miles on it. There is a reason why the grass is greener on the other side of the fence, that’s where the septic tank is at!
              If you know how to reload and experiment with loads like 110gr, 130, 150, 165, 180, 190 and 200, you’ll find that the 30-06 can do more tricks than any other cartridge that will astonish even today like myself! Ya Ya I know you can go to heavier bullets like 250 grain in the Ol’06 and I’ve tried them all and 200 grain is heavy enough in fact I like the 190 grain better than 180’s and 200’s!!! My favorite choice of bullet for the 30-06 is the Hornady 130 grain for Mule deer. Flat shooting, less recoil and it sure puts the wallop on them and it doubles as a darn good varmint load too!

Comment

If I could only get three guns, I would get a 22 revolver pistol, a 12 guage over under shotgun, and a 30-06 bolt action rifle.

Comment

I totally agree. I might choose a 17 HMR over a 22 for longer range. But .22 shells are way cheaper for some brands. 30-06 would be good if it was light. I definatly choose a shotgun. It is good for birds and quick self defence. Just make sure it is a pump, semi auto or even an automatic.

Comment

my choices would be the same but trade the .22 for a .22 magnum

Comment

derobbins, I can't think of any better choices myself. It just so happens that I have those three guns in my safe and they would be the last ones to go if I had to get rid of all but 3. Good choices.

Comment

The question is what 3 weapons.

I'll take my bow anyday. The seasons are longer, less crowded and you can shoot anything with it.

I would compliment it with my 22-250 for varmit then my 20ga for birds and rabbits

Comment

mine would be a 22 smith & wesson airweight pistol $600.
                          An AR-15 in 223 $1200.
                          And a remington 1100 tactical with interchangable choke $1100.

Comment

I'd drop the 12 gauge in favor of my Springfield XD 45 a ruger 10/22M and my AR10 in 308.

Comment

$$$

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to More Bad News....
                                by jhjimbo
                                So sorry for your loss....
                                Today, 10:40 AM
                              • More Bad News....
                                by WA Mtnhunter
                                My 13+ year old Black Lab is still plugging along. Not sure how much or if he will hunt this fall. The real bad news is that my 8-year old Lab, Scout,...
                                07-19-2020, 12:00 PM
                              • Reply to More Bad News....
                                by Amflyer
                                Thanks for letting us know. There's no words. Sometimes I wonder if what's between humans and dogs may be the perfect bond, at least in this existence....
                                Today, 10:26 AM
                              • Reply to 16 Years
                                by Ontario Honker Hunter
                                "... not a racist except in that I support the white condition without being a nazi or white supremacy nut." So you are a racist, just not a...
                                Today, 09:38 AM
                              • 16 Years
                                by jhjimbo
                                So, if Biden wins the White House will have been under the control of black/brown for up to 16 years, yet they only represent about 13% of the population...
                                Yesterday, 09:20 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X