Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ok im thinkin bout buyin a new rifle for deer and bear and i have about $350-$450 and im trying to figure out what the best cali

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ok im thinkin bout buyin a new rifle for deer and bear and i have about $350-$450 and im trying to figure out what the best cali

Ok im thinkin bout buyin a new rifle for deer and bear and i have about $350-$450 and im trying to figure out what the best caliber would be i live in the northeast and im not the biggest person so i was wondering about recoil as well

have you thought about Marlins XL7 in 30-06? they run at about $400 and the recoil isn't bad at all.

Comment

I would also look at getting a .270. The ammo is very cheap and comes in a variety of loads. If I were you I would look on www.gunbroker.com it's like ebay for guns and you could get into a good rifle for a great price.

Comment

one of the all time great questions of all time, the thing is Hunter Kid if you ask 100 hunters that question you may get 100 different answers, that said first think about where you are hunting the land you hunt what are the ranges at which you can typically make a good shot, the amount of bruch etc. if you answer under 100 yards with moderte to heavy cover in evergreens then think in lines of a Marlin 30-30 or .35. if open and up to 250 yards then for light recoil 7mm-08 the problem with this cal. is harder to find ammo. .308 is another good choice it has moderte recoil and ammo is available anywhere. if you are a teenager that is going to be bigger by this upcomming hunting season then .270 to 30-06 are great choices, this all said if you are small frame and worried about recoil the .243 is hard to beat that is what my wife and son use with great results. no matter what your choice is make sure that you practice with the load in which you intend to hunt with.

Comment

I would think about a 30-06 or .308, in a browning a or x bolt but cost a little bit more. Or you could think about a Thompson Centerfire Encore.

Comment

I think a Remington model 770 or 700. If you like wood i would go for the model 770 or if you like synthetic definetly the 700. I would choose whether a 270 or 308 caliber. I think todays prices are in your range.

Comment

I think the Brownings and TCs might be a little out of your price range. Remington 700s and 770s you can probably find something to work. Also take a look at Savages you should be able to pick one up in your price range. gunbroker.com is a good website but you must have the firearm shipped to someone with a Federal Firarms Liscence so if you know someone with a gunshop or something that is a way to go. If you'll grow into it you might look at a .30-06 but more than likely right now you should look at something between .243 and .270

Comment

Look at .270's or 30-06's. They can be bought at good prices and here are two places you can look. If you don't like it, check with a local firearm store.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/SearchResults.asp

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/SearchResults.asp?SearchResults.asp?SearchType=0&K eywords=%2E270

Comment

My favorite big gun is the 7mm Remington Magnum; the recoil is very manageable however, I only use a 160 grain bullet. I would look into the 300 Remington Ultra Mag and their Power Level ammunition; it allows you to shoot different grain bullets with similar ballistics.

Comment

Sorry, forgot this...

http://www.remington.com/products/ammunition/centerfire/power_level.asp

Comment

30.06 will bring down any game animal in North America. F & S, posted an article I believe in the Dec issue where one of their writers brought his 30.06 to Africa and did very well there and harvested rather large game. It all depends on the ammo at that point, which with this caliber round there are more available in more places.

Also, Marlin came out with a new synthetic stock 30.06, Model XL-7 under $400; I purchased it and was able to hit two button bucks at 120-130 yrds.

Comment

I would say that over the years, 90% of the deer taken in the northeast have been taken by a 30.06 or a 30-30. I hunt the northest and have good luck with both. I guess it depends on that type of terrain your hunting.

Comment

The .243 might be to your liking for deer,its killed a good many of them .

Comment

If deer are your main concern then I would recommend the .25-06 Remington. Light recoil and it's absolutely deadly on deer. You can cleanly take game up to and including elk with it. Shoots flat as well. Load it down with lightweight bullets and you have an excellent rig for hunting coyotes, woodchuck, etc.

Comment

25-06

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad