Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Clay, Beekeeper, Jim, Del and/or some of you other well read guys, What is the truth or status of this Ammunition Accountabilty

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clay, Beekeeper, Jim, Del and/or some of you other well read guys, What is the truth or status of this Ammunition Accountabilty

Clay, Beekeeper, Jim, Del and/or some of you other well read guys, What is the truth or status of this Ammunition Accountabilty Bill? As i understand it will require each bullet to be stamped with an individual serial number or bar code so its traceable, is that correct? Thereby making it difficult and expensive to mass produce? I wrote my legislators but am waiting for a reply. What do you's know?

...and no offense to you other smartguys i left out.

Comment

They want to encode every casing and bullet with a serial number so they will know who bought the ammunition (you would have to sign forms and provide ID when you purchase), when it was purchased, what type of ammunition you bought, and how much you bought. They say that they only want to do this for handgun and assult rifle ammunition but we all know there are pistols and black rifles in a vast array of calibers that most people use in hunting applications. In essence they will be able to track the sales of nearly all ammunition plus raise the prices in order to privide maintenace on the machines that make ammuntion. This act would also make it illegal to own ammo that wasn't coded past the date of Jan 1, 2011. I don't know about reloading ammo, but my guess is that it would make it nearly impossible, probably unlawful, to reload your own stuff. In my opinion though I don't see this act passing. Right now the Dems. have their man in office so they are all trying to take a shot at bills they would like to see passed. Putting a serial number on every round of ammunition is just not feasible, the mainframe computer that would need to be constructed in order to hold all the information for when the round was made, by who, sold to who, and when it was sold would be would over load so quickly that its not possible. I don't think we are going to have to worry about this though.

Comment

You have it in a nut shell. Right now there are several states in the Southeast including my home state of Georgia that have introduced the same basic bill. If a law such as this were enacted the ammo industry would be devistated. This is the type law that sounds good and appealing to the uninitiated. If one thinks about just what handgun ammo includes you will get a chill. Can you imagine encoding .22 long rifle ammo? If one takes the law literally just think about all the calibers the T/C encore is set up for! We are not just talking handgun ammo here. Make sure you notify your representatives in writing of your disapproval of such legislation. As a friend of mine says, as long as the legislators are under the dome no one is safe!

Comment

P.S. The multi level tracking to enable such a thing would be frightful.

Comment

I understated it when saying "difficult and expensive to mass produce", more like impossible.

Comment

I just got off the phone with Congressman John Boozman Office. What I was told there is no legislation on the Federal level at this time, only at the state level. Below is the web site I was to refer to for what is going on. Also what I was told where there is heavy hunting, this should not pass.

Also Congressman John Boozman is with the 2nd Amendment group and opposes any legislation of this type period!

http://www.ammunitionaccountability.org/Legislation.htm

Comment

I also understand that to re-tool the equipment to produce this ammo will most likely also create a delay in the manufacturing and therefore a strain on supply. This all translated into less ammo for more money (leading to more taxes of course). If you have not writen to your representative do it now and make your voice heard.

Comment

The days of once was ATF busting down doors and shooting innocent people in there homes are now back at hand!
                  Clay Cooper

“the people I put in jail have more honor than the top administration in this organization.”
                  -Bob Hoffman, ATF agent, to Mike Wallace, on 60 Minutes, 1993-Jan

“I took an oath. And the thing that I find totally abhorrent and disgusting is these higher-level people took that same oath and they violate the basic principles and tenets of the Constitution and the laws and simple ethics and morality.”
                  -Lou Tomasello, ATF agent, to Mike Wallace, on 60 Minutes, 1993-Jan

“a jack-booted group of fascists who are perhaps as large a danger to American society as I could pick today.”
                  -Rep. John Dingell (D-MI) in 1983, describing the ATF

“Trampled upon the Second Amendment [...] Offended the Fourth Amendment [...] Ignored the Fifth Amendment”
                  -Senate Subcommittee on the Constitution, 1982, findings regarding the ATF

“Let us begin to measure one another in terms of contributing to each other's success.”
                  -John W. Magaw, Director of the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms, 1994-Aug (explanation: Magaw has spelled out a collectivist credo. He recommends that each ATF agent be evaluated not on the basis of his effectiveness in pursuing his mission, but on the basis of how he facilitates the pursuits of others. This is a manifestly horrendous idea.)

Comment

Make reloading impossible they say? then I'll be hunted as a terrible criminal that law WILL make me ,Ill always reload ,no matter what 'they' say. I wont be alone !

Comment

Oh if the law passes ,that picture on my profile isnt me ,I used a internet found picture haha !

Comment

steve182,
                        Yea, they are trying to get Missouri to buy into that. It's a law designed to fail, as most do.
                        You did more than most do by contacting your legislator. Good for you.

Comment

Do they realize how much of this stuff we go through? Good luck...

Comment

"...From my hot, steaming barrel!"

Comment

No surprise, the manufacturer of the necessary equipment is pushing hard.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad