Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm definitely not a pro hunter by any means, but I'm really interested in guns. I like to hear reviews of whats new on the mark

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm definitely not a pro hunter by any means, but I'm really interested in guns. I like to hear reviews of whats new on the mark

I'm definitely not a pro hunter by any means, but I'm really interested in guns. I like to hear reviews of whats new on the market and what not. But is it me or are the reviews on this site (especially ones from Petzal) somewhat out of reach? I mean guns that aren't really practical in price.

Hillbilly, i'm with you. What a joke. I like guns as much as anybody and like to know what's out there, even a little beyond the reasonable price range, but some of these guns belong in the Robb Report or Dupont Registry,(Yuppy Rags) not a Hunting Magazine. I've said it before,...Petzal must make too much money

Comment

Dave's just stirring the pot. There really isn't that much new out there. Just a load of rehash. He did a really good work up on the Marlin XL7, probably one of the best bread and water rifles out there.

Comment

Petzal is just fulfilling his part of the deal. Everytime a gun company or gunsmith lends to Petzal a rifle to test he has to learn everything about it, test its functionality, and then hold up his end of the bargin (give it some print time). Every gun that goes to F&S will undergo the same process whether it is a $125 .22 or a $25,000 custom rifle. I don't understand why he is catching so much flak for doing his job. I am sure there are a lot of rifles he could write about, but some are more interesting than others.

Comment

I see your point. I know some of us don't have that kind of money.

Comment

I know what you mean, but it is nice to here about some of the other rifles that we caould never afford. Who whats to read about the Remington 700 and 870 everyday.

Comment

I guess if someone were giving me one of these guns i wouldn't think it such a joke.

Comment

My suggestion is to ask any Joe Shooter (cousin to Joe 6-pack and Joe the Plummer), at the local firing range and ask him what may be the best rifle for the price. I'm sure most Sporting Goods Stores that have good reputation will help you out too. Dave is just doing his job. But, I agree with the above posts...

Comment

I consider many of the "state-of-the-art" rifles interesting but unattainable, much as an automobile enthusiast regards Maserati, Ferrari and Lamborghini. Still, we do well to wonder what features make these rifles so very expensive and what craftsmanship is involved in their production. Much of what we now expect in today's factory rifles were custom features in the past. Many production steps that are implemented by hand today may be programmed into computers in the future, but the touch of the true craftsman will remain the creative domain of the artist in metal and wood.
                  Well executed engraving, sculpted metal, checkered metal surfaces, etc., do not contribute to accuracy, but they do provide pride of ownership for those who regard them highly enough to commission the work. The highly figured wood that is now a rarity will remain so, since laminates and composites have come a great way but there is no replacement for the purist. I notice it is a becoming increasingly expensive to be a "purist". Still, we admire and appreciate fine work when we see it.
                  Mr. Echols work is extraordinary, no question. This $14,000 rifle falls well short of the the aesthetic I would expect of such an expensive rifle, but it is designed for a class of game that I will not pursue, where all the checkering and engraving of a gentlemen's rifle will prove no advantage against dangerous game. The rifle is obviously made for deeper pockets and loftier interests than mine, and I have no doubt that whoever carries it on safari will have invested well. I'm pleased that such rifles exist, but delighted that my requirements are simpler and more affordably met. There is something for every one of us, but I am definitely not the target market for this rifle. Still, I am interested in new products and developments for shooters, and I do intend to squander some hard-earned cash on the next rifle. For the past 55 years, there has always been a "next rifle".

Comment

Guys I may get killed for plugging another website but try Gunblast.com the guy is super down to earth more hill billy than Clay and VERY pro 2A. Just don't tell F&S I sent you. And I've hammered DP everytime he's reviewed anything over 2 grand, if you don't believe me go look. anyway good luck, good shooting, hope this helps

CB

Comment

I figure that for me at least these reveiw fall into the catagory of well at least I can dream. Now for reality, one of my favorite features is the Splurge/save section where 2 setups for the same hunt are compared, He may just be doing his job, but maybe he needs to write a disclaimer now and again, it 's great to dream but I would be dead or divorced if I bought a rifle that cost more than my pick-up (I currently, have a $6300 cap) honestly I am not sure if I could bring myself to pay $5000 for a rifle.

Comment

Might be doing his job, probably bored with the cheap stuff, but definitely spiting us.

The more we rag on high dollar guns, and the more P.B. gives us the affordable stuff, the more we'll be forced to read about firearms forged in Unobtanium.

Don't you see the pattern? One entry about a Mossberg, and we get THREE on Echols.

Comment

Agreed with Beekeeper answer above and A + 1 for you sir!!!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to How do you fly ?
                            by PigHunter
                            Like most everyone else, I buy a scope to feel a need. Only a few times have I taken advantage of a sale.

The Leupold VX3i on my .308 is...
                            Today, 06:44 PM
                          • How do you fly ?
                            by jhjimbo
                            Do you buy a scope when it is on deep discount, then look for the perfect rifle to put it on ? Or, you have the rifle and it needs glass, justkeep looking...
                            Today, 04:18 PM
                          • Reply to Handgun Laser Sights
                            by PigHunter
                            Bubba, I've been curious too. This is our first and so far I like it during dry fire. We're going to see how it is at the range in a few days....
                            Today, 06:35 PM
                          • Handgun Laser Sights
                            by PigHunter
                            On 7/19, Milldawg mentioned he'd ordered a laser sight for his wife's Ruger LCP 380 and they were on sale at MidwayUSA. Well, that inspired me to order...
                            08-03-2020, 11:20 AM
                          • Reply to Handgun Laser Sights
                            by PigHunter
                            Good question. The old style Ruger LC9 has a very long trigger pull that's similar to that of a double action only revolver. I think it would be unlikely...
                            Today, 06:32 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X