Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What caliber has the highest velocity? .30-06, .308, or .300 WSM?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What caliber has the highest velocity? .30-06, .308, or .300 WSM?

What caliber has the highest velocity? .30-06, .308, or .300 WSM?

Depends on the barrel lenght and bullet weight. Typically it would be 300 WSM, 30/06 and 308. Some bullets weights are very close in velocity across all three.

Comment

Depends how you lok at it. I can reload my 06 to equal the 30 WSM.

Far as factory loads, 308 is about 150 slower than the 06 as the 06 of the 30 WSM.

As far as I'm concerned it's not worth the extra bucks for the WSM's ans WSSM's

Comment

Depends on the weight of the bullet.

Comment

300 WSM, All bullet weights/composition being similar or equal...

Comment

I have only shot a 30-06 and it has a lot of kick so it might have the highest velocity and they use them for out west. i think

Comment

Usually the 300 is faster than the other two, and the 308 is slowest. If you load 223 accelerators in the 308, it's faster than the 308 and some 300 loads.

Comment

Years ago, I sold my 300 Win Mag that I loaded at Weatherby velocities. I sold it and bought a 25-06 and never regretted it!
                If that’s good enough for the Coop then what is a 300 Mag going to do the Coop can’t do with his 25-06.
                If you reload 30-06 or 308 and hunt even monster mulies, the Hornady 130 grain with 54 grains of IMR4064 with a Federal 210 primer will work just as fine as any magnum with a hell of allot less kick!

As those cut their teeth on plinking with 22’s I did so on 30-06 130’s!!

PS
                223 accelerators is a waste of money when you can shoot 130’s!!!

Comment

good answer beekeeper

Comment

depends on the weight of your rifle

Comment

Factory load - Remington 30-06 Accelerator. .30 cal sabot w/ 55 gr .224 bullet. 4,080 fps.

Comment

it depend on the load

but factory 300 mag

fastest in the world is the 220 swift

Comment

This is a question easily answered in any online ammo catalog. But I guess inline catalogs don't get you any points! LOL

Comment

Agreed with Beekeeper answer above and A + 1 for you sir!!!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad