Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I am sorry if this ? has been answerd before but what is a 338 edge?,and is it as good as a 338rum? Just got done lookin at on y

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I am sorry if this ? has been answerd before but what is a 338 edge?,and is it as good as a 338rum? Just got done lookin at on y

I am sorry if this ? has been answerd before but what is a 338 edge?,and is it as good as a 338rum? Just got done lookin at on you tube and was just wondering.

Of the various members of the RUM family the .338 has a slightly shorter case. If you take a .300 RUM with its slightly longer case and neck it up to .338 you have the Edge. Its holds a bit more powder and propels the bullet a little faster. I believe that is why the name was selected as just gives you an edge over the .338 RUM. In reality you probably can't tell one from the other in the field. We gun nuts like to play with this sort of thing as a past time.

Comment

Look about 3 pages back and you will find all the info you want on the 338 edge. I shoot a 338-378 which is a Weatherby factory chambering that will beat all other 338s out there that I am aware of.

CB

Comment

See what you started Ish? Nice going.

Comment

Jim in Mo: Yep I should have never mentioned it. Brad's right about his big Weatherby but at a tremendous cost in ammo even if you reload. On paper the .338-378s that I have seen leave something to be desired but not enough to matter in the field. Big old heavy rifle to lug around if you don't hunt from horses or 4-wheelers. Still it is a hell of a cartridge and rifle. The RUM will fit a standard length receiver like Remington, Winchester, or Sako so you can make a little shorter and lighter rifle which is still extremely effective at long range. Brass is cheaper. Either one will do just fine as the elk don't know the difference when it is hit. Let's move on to something extremely controversial...like .270 vs '06...naw that's been done.

Comment

CPT BRAD and Gang, you can have your 338 RUM and Weatherby or whatever, I’ll stick to my 338 Win Mag thank you! 7mm Rem Brass makes beautiful 338 Win Mag cases without fire forming! At least I can hit “MOP” with it!! LOL!

Comment

Clay we still have our .338 Win with its limitations but for fun add an Edge or RUM. Actually I probably will still use the Win more than the Edge for hunting as long as my kid is with me packing a long range gun. We can have and use both unless we limit ourselves by personal choice or for financial reasons. All will shoot MOP.
              I'm curious since I have used a .338 Win and a 7 mm Rem for well over 30 years I simply buy empty brass for each rifle. Why is it your preference to continue to make cases which have the wrong headstamp? I know it works but why put forth the effort unless someone hands you a sack of once fired 7 mm Rems? Again I am just wondering as maybe I am missing something. Thanks

Comment

I have a 338 win and its is my go to gun, I'd take the 338-378 Weatherby for longer range stuff. I've got the 338 with a 3-9 VXII on it and the 338-378 with a 6-18 I like both and both have their place. Like Ish say the Weatherby is way overpriced on ammo, at 110-120 a box I can shoot the 338 win about 3 times as much. I do dream of taking the old Weatherby out west on an elk hunt or up North for Browns. Also the Weatherby is in an accumark and is considerably lighter than a Sendero that I had.

Comment

CPT BRAD: Those guys, and there are lots of them, that think their .30-.378s are the real deal should try the .338-.378 to see the difference. It's a whole new world. You can move boulders at 300 yards with a 250 or 300 gr from the big .338. I wish I had some suggestion as how to lower the price of feeding it as my neighbor and I have shoot his quite a bit. Fortunately the brass seems to hold up well, probably Norma manufacturered. If it would fit my action I would have never considered the Edge or RUM.

Comment

Agreed with ishawooa answer above and A + 1 for you sir!!!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad