Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is a better caliber for big game .30-06, .308, or .300 WSM?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DV Jeff Ward
    replied
    Originally posted by CPT BRAD View Post
    If your talking about big game, I would include bear in that, and that would be a 300. For all around use I like the 308, good shot placement and you won't be tracking many of them. That and its a pleasure to shoot and bullets are cheap.
    .308 is nice and good for the military, but the '06 is a more vertile round with better accuracy, penetration and bang for your buck...

Leave a comment:

• PotterMan96
    replied
    I think the .300 is the best out of them all but that is just my opinion.

Leave a comment:

• rocky d bashaw
    replied
    30-06 is my vote, never let me down

Leave a comment:

• platte river rat
    replied
    all three are good----Remember---lots of hours on the range make you shoot where you want to---not just a few rounds ever hunting season--- respect whatever you hunt, make the first shot count.

Leave a comment:

• infantry08
    replied
    A handloaded .308 can equal a factory loaded 30-06 pretty easily. My .308 is like a pet to me...it's part of the family. It's an efficient cartrige that is quite versatile. It's also a short action and recoil is tolerable for most. As for the whole idea of hunting the big bears with one...I think we could all agree a .338 would just make more sense. I'm sure with a high quality bullet such as the Barnes TSX there would be sufficient penetration around 100 yards or so but I wouldn't want to be face to face with a brown bear if all i had was a .308 with any load.

Leave a comment:

• RyanDilley7
    replied
    My favorite is 30-06.

Leave a comment:

• buckeye
    replied
    The 30-06 is probably the easiest to find ammo for, but i personaly like the .308. I am trying to save up for one now.

Leave a comment:

• Christian Emter
    replied
    Personally I like the 308 and 300.

Leave a comment:

• steve182
    replied
    They are actually the same caliber, same bullet, different case, load.

Leave a comment:

• Ye ole Coaste
    replied
    Addenum for the Offical's out there!!: the weapon or rifle used to hunt in Oregon was a bolt action 308 remington mod#7 properly licensed and documented !!
    No need to panic no auto weapons were used in the writing of this article or reply----I would gladly accept the use of or gift of the semi-auto vesrion of the M14 since there are two many to mention here? the dreams of the YOC are revealed on screen!!!

Leave a comment:

• Ye ole Coaste
    replied
    Howdy, glad to see some of U were on track with the 308!!!I was on a nuclear W/T team USN and finally had to go qual. with a marine group.I was the best shot 3yrs running on the Navy side. I walked away from the qual shoot humbled and hang-dogged.Seen the marines nail bull's eyes at 300 yds thru the same hole!!! that day convinced me that the 308 was optimum round and the M-14 was the weapon that any hunter,serviceman or sportsperson could ever want. Used one in Oregon to drop some mighty fine elk and mule deer up to 200yds in rain,wind,and blizzard to 28'below. That is all!! Carry ON!! YOC PS then I switched to the USCG but thats another tale for another time!!!

Leave a comment:

• timothyfaw
    replied
    30/6 rifle

Leave a comment:

• CPT BRAD
    replied
    If your talking about big game, I would include bear in that, and that would be a 300. For all around use I like the 308, good shot placement and you won't be tracking many of them. That and its a pleasure to shoot and bullets are cheap.

Leave a comment:

• shane
    replied
    All the same bullet weights and types available, but the WSM fits more powder. I guess it wins. It won't be overkill for anything you would use a .308 on.

Really, it's all subjective to what you are hunting, where you are hunting, how far you plan on shooting, and if you are recoil sensitive or not.

Leave a comment:

• hjohn429
    replied
    It really depends on the game and the range. I like the 30-06 best, but that's just me.

Leave a comment:

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to I paid more taxes than Trump in 16 and 17
    by rock rat
    Or has someone write it. It seems most book deals only net a few million. I think the Obamas got in the single millions.

We don't know what...
    Today, 09:58 PM
  • I paid more taxes than Trump in 16 and 17
    by rock rat
    Both years he paid $750

And of the 15 years before that he paid no taxes in 10 of those years.

He works as hard at tax avoidance...
    Yesterday, 06:29 PM
  • Reply to Big Green
    by FirstBubba
    Won't disagree, but getting away from Gov. Cuomo (D-NY) is a matter of life and death.

P.S. - nothing would please Cuomo more than getting...
    Today, 09:49 PM
  • Big Green
    by FirstBubba
    Remington to be bought out by seven (7) different investors!...
    Today, 10:05 AM
  • Reply to Bad news for COVID-19 "cases"!
    by rock rat
    OSHA suggests that the safest method for retail establishments to deal with non compliant customers regarding masks is to not confront them. Some non...
    Today, 09:48 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
Working...
X