Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is a better caliber for big game .30-06, .308, or .300 WSM?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The 30-06 is probably the easiest to find ammo for, but i personaly like the .308. I am trying to save up for one now.

Comment

My favorite is 30-06.

Comment

A handloaded .308 can equal a factory loaded 30-06 pretty easily. My .308 is like a pet to me...it's part of the family. It's an efficient cartrige that is quite versatile. It's also a short action and recoil is tolerable for most. As for the whole idea of hunting the big bears with one...I think we could all agree a .338 would just make more sense. I'm sure with a high quality bullet such as the Barnes TSX there would be sufficient penetration around 100 yards or so but I wouldn't want to be face to face with a brown bear if all i had was a .308 with any load.

Comment

all three are good----Remember---lots of hours on the range make you shoot where you want to---not just a few rounds ever hunting season--- respect whatever you hunt, make the first shot count.

Comment

30-06 is my vote, never let me down

Comment

I think the .300 is the best out of them all but that is just my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by CPT BRAD View Post
                If your talking about big game, I would include bear in that, and that would be a 300. For all around use I like the 308, good shot placement and you won't be tracking many of them. That and its a pleasure to shoot and bullets are cheap.
                .308 is nice and good for the military, but the '06 is a more vertile round with better accuracy, penetration and bang for your buck...

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad