Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is a better caliber for big game .30-06, .308, or .300 WSM?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is a better caliber for big game .30-06, .308, or .300 WSM?

What is a better caliber for big game .30-06, .308, or .300 WSM?

All have their advantages, I own at least one rifle in each chambering. If I were to have to choose only one it would be the 30/06. Ammo is available all over the world. Tremendous number of offerings in commercial ammo and components for reloading are readily available. With the right bullet the '06 can take almost anything that walks.

Comment

I like the 300 win mag. There'e nothing wrong with the other 2 that's just my preference.

Comment

.300 WSM

Comment

I agree with beekeeper the 30-06 is a great all around caliber and is easy to find ammo for. It also has less recoil than the .300 and will take down virtually anything the .300 will take down. i use an 06 for elk and it works great.

Comment

The '06 is the most versataile of these three. It has more upside than the .308, and i'm not sure If the WSM's will be around in a hundred years, like the '06

Comment

The evolution of firearms and cartridges was not finalized in 1906. Any of the above are adequate for the majority of big game you are likely to encounter. Pick one of them and a Lott and call it good for anything larger than an antelope. I am convinced that God allowed so many calibers and variations thereof just to appease us gun nuts. A person more sensable than a gun nut would simply acquire a .22 LR, an '06, and maybe a .223 or .458 and be happy from now on.

Comment

It really depends on the game and the range. I like the 30-06 best, but that's just me.

Comment

All the same bullet weights and types available, but the WSM fits more powder. I guess it wins. It won't be overkill for anything you would use a .308 on.

Really, it's all subjective to what you are hunting, where you are hunting, how far you plan on shooting, and if you are recoil sensitive or not.

Comment

If your talking about big game, I would include bear in that, and that would be a 300. For all around use I like the 308, good shot placement and you won't be tracking many of them. That and its a pleasure to shoot and bullets are cheap.

Comment

30/6 rifle

Comment

Howdy, glad to see some of U were on track with the 308!!!I was on a nuclear W/T team USN and finally had to go qual. with a marine group.I was the best shot 3yrs running on the Navy side. I walked away from the qual shoot humbled and hang-dogged.Seen the marines nail bull's eyes at 300 yds thru the same hole!!! that day convinced me that the 308 was optimum round and the M-14 was the weapon that any hunter,serviceman or sportsperson could ever want. Used one in Oregon to drop some mighty fine elk and mule deer up to 200yds in rain,wind,and blizzard to 28'below. That is all!! Carry ON!! YOC PS then I switched to the USCG but thats another tale for another time!!!

Comment

Addenum for the Offical's out there!!: the weapon or rifle used to hunt in Oregon was a bolt action 308 remington mod#7 properly licensed and documented !!
                          No need to panic no auto weapons were used in the writing of this article or reply----I would gladly accept the use of or gift of the semi-auto vesrion of the M14 since there are two many to mention here? the dreams of the YOC are revealed on screen!!!

Comment

They are actually the same caliber, same bullet, different case, load.

Comment

Personally I like the 308 and 300.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad