Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does anyone have an E. R. Shaw barrel? If so what do you think of it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does anyone have an E. R. Shaw barrel? If so what do you think of it?

Does anyone have an E. R. Shaw barrel? If so what do you think of it?

I'm anxious to hear responses also. I think T.W. tried them. When the day comes I have to rebarrel my 06 hunting rifle I'm thinking of a 24' straight fluted barrel.

Comment

ER Shaw is a fine barrel maker. I have several friends that shoot comptetively and use their barrels in their rifles.

Comment

Shaw make a fine barrel and does good gunsmithing work. I rebarreled a Savage with one of thier .338/06 barrels. Well finished and very accurate. One inch at 100 is no problem.

Comment

All:

I have a 26" E.R. Shaw barrel on a 280 AI built on a customized 1917 Lee Enfield action glass- and pillar-bedded in a heavy walnut stock. I bought this particular rifle at a gunshow several years ago, though this is something I would normally almost never do. I'd guess the contour of the barrel is probably #3; in other words, an average weight and width sporter barrel. Other than fixing the base mounting holes on the barrel (which were out of alignment) so I could accurately mount a scope, and fixing the trigger on the rifle, I have done nothing to it.

When I'm having a good day on the range, and even with the slow (by today's standards) lock-time between trigger pull and firing pin hitting the primer, this particular 280 AI rifle will regularly shoot 1/2" to 3/4" 5-shot groups with 130-grain Sierra Matchkings and 145-grain Speer Gold Match target bullets. I've gotten a few groups that were in the .318-.383 department, too, but this is much rarer, and is about as small a group as I've ever gotten out of any sporting rifle.

Velocities match those listed in several modern reloading manuals.

Note that if the barrel gets really hot from constant shooting, the groups will vertically spread. (But I think this is to be expected.) And with some bullets, the rifle will shoot 1 1/2" groups and no better. But with the right bullets and loads, it is a very accurate rifle.

I think E.R. Shaw barrels are excellent barrels, particularly those made over the last few years and today. Prices are reasonable.

TWD

Comment

Addendum:

Several months ago I ordered an ER Shaw Mark VII bolt-action rifle, LH, in 257 AI. It will be my first LH rifle, which I'm very much looking forward to. The rifle will have a 24" medium contour spiral fluted barrel and a Savage Accutrigger in a very pretty Boyd's laminated stock. The price was very reasonable (around $850), given all the little semi-custom features that will come with the rifle.

From everything I've read about Mark VII rifles, they'll shoot MOA or better with the right loads, and of course these rifles are equipped with ER Shaw barrels. My only complaint thus far is E.R. Shaw's about-one-year long wait to receive the rifle from date of order, which I don't understand and don't like. Getting just a barrel from E.R. Shaw, however, should only take a couple of weeks, or so I've been told.

TWD

Comment

i have ordered 2 er shaw barrels in 260 rem wt a 1x8 twist for mine and my buddys first savage barrel swaps. it took almost 4 months to get them and then they had to be returned because they showed up wt a 1x9 twist.(bummer!!) i'm still waiting for the right barrels. the price was right though and there's a long wait for the premium barrels too (we checked ) . just make sure when you order one that they write down the TWIST and all the particulars or sh-t could happen. i hope they don't take too much longer to get here.

Comment

I have a Shaw barrel on a Savage 112 action. It is a 26'' varmint weight. Groups .375 at 100 yds. Also have a .17 mach 2 barrel on 10/22 that groups 1/2'' at 50 yds. To me, this is highly satisfactory performance and I expect I will add another Shaw or two to the collection.

gary

Comment

I HAVE A RUGER 10/22 STAINLESS BARREL THAT IS HELLICAL FLUTED. I LOVE THE WAY IT LOOKS & THE WAY IT SHOOTS.ITS THE COOLEST LOOKING BARREL I'VE EVER SEEN.IM SHOOTING A 3X9 SCOPE BUT PLAN TO GO TO A 6X24 POWER& SHOULD BE CUTTING THE SAME HOLE AT 50 YARDS

Comment

I have a E.R. shaw rifled slug barrel for my Benelli M1 90.It is fairly accurate for a slug gun , but I am having problems with the back sight falling off .Very disappointed with the barrel.I'm thinking the design of the rear sight can not handle the recoil of a shotgun .Would not recommend this product at all . Buyer beware !!

Comment

I Have a custom built (I suppose you could call it a bench rest) Left-handed rifle chambered is 6.5-284 Norma with a stainless steel helical fluted E.R. Shaw 26 inch bull(heavy) barrel. Custom (approximately) 2lb trigger. With a Savage action. I load my own target match hybrid 140 hollow point boat tail bullets by Berger. And apart from the obvious beauty of the barrel it's self, I have never seen a rifle that was so consistent. People talk about tack drivers and I now see what they mean. At 100 yards(which is child's play for a 6.5-284) with my 8x32x50mm scope I can easily double punch holes in paper targets.

To say the least I am more than happy with the performance and consistency over and over.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad