Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

For all you rifle nuts out there. I have always been a big fan of Mauser(type)actions, they are a classic and they are probably

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• For all you rifle nuts out there. I have always been a big fan of Mauser(type)actions, they are a classic and they are probably

For all you rifle nuts out there. I have always been a big fan of Mauser(type)actions, they are a classic and they are probably the most copied action out there. They are perhaps most renouned for controlled round feeding. I own both push feed types (Remington 700, Browning Abolt etc.) and control feed types. I really don't see any practical difference in the field. I have never hunted in Africa where it is sometimes said they are requisite for dangerous game. What are your thoughts and what do you consider the merits of each?

I feel like the Remington model 700 style action is smoother and also looks better. The full length extractor of the Mauser style action is not only outdated and somewhat unsightly, but it also tends to make the action stick up a little bit. Just my .02. What do I know I'm just an 18 year old with suffering grades because of the outdoor activities I live for.

Comment

I think the controlled round feed comes into its glory when you're upside down or sideways and need to get the fired round cleared and the next round into the chamber right now. Doubt I would need that 99.999% of the time. But it's that .001% that keeps me up at night.

I do appreciate the ability to control the case/cartridge ejection with a blade ejector.

I am not sure if claw extractors affect accuracy - seems that their grip can force the cartridge into a standard size chamber cockeyed. But, with a push feed, the cartridge has wiggle room. Seems more has to be right to build an accurate control feed than a push feed. Perhaps there are some gunsmiths or more knowledeable gun guys that can shed light on this.

Comment

I've used both push feed and control feed extensively all over the world, and never had a problem with either type, even in highly emotional situations. However my bolt action rifles, 375 through 500 Jeffery all happen to be control feed. bringing up cartridges from the magazine with 300 t0 535 grain bullets with no mishaps.

As far as a requisite for African dangerous game, again I've used both types and only had one problem where I screwed up the shot, got mauled, then got up, and finished off the cat with the same push feed rifle. My African Curriculum Vitae covers 28 safaris all over the continent. The shortest being 18 days, the longest 42 days, the rest 21 -35 days. Last year split 95 days between jungle of Cameroon; Tanzania, north, west, and south; and the mountains and deserts of Ethiopia Mention this only to prove, "been there and done that". Continuous practice shooting off hand and off the sticks, then just about any good rifle will do the job.

Comment

My experiences don't approach Happy Myles but I have done a lot of North American hunting plus have been shooting most of my life. I have owned hundreds of guns and reloaded for most of them. The only complete failure to extract oddly enough was from a Mauser. I have utilized hot loads in my Remingtons with nary a problem from the little extractor. Same goes for Winchesters, Rugers, and Sakos. I am certain that we have been through this topic before but nevertheless it is always interesting to get the various opinions.

Comment

I have seated bullets too far out in reloading and had them fail to extract when unfired due to the rifling beginning to engage the bullet with a 700, but that was when my buddy and I were experimenting to find just the right seating depth. I have also had a round slide over into the grove that the barrel lug rides and hang the gun up that way. I don't own a dangerous game rifle, but I have no qualms about the push feed for whitetails and the like. Ed Brown has a solution that allegedly offers the best of both worlds, but man, they ain't cheap.

Comment

I have a rifle with a push-style action and one with a claw (Mauser) style action. They happen to be a Remington Model 700 and a Ruger M77 Mark II, very respectively.
              I've sometimes found the Ruger action a little long in the throw, and the bolt is composed of multiple parts, and the extractor is a little flimsy. Other than that, it is a very accurate and durable rifle.
              The Remington bolt is more of a solid cylinder and seems to fit and draw and throw smooth and fast. I have had instances where the bullet would wanna slide out of the chamber when I want to check the magazine for cartridge placement. But, there is no doubt that it is a good and accurate action.

Comment

If Finn Aagaard and Craig Boddington says don't worry about it then don't worry about it.

Comment

I read these posts because they force me to think, which is a healthy exercise. I own both push-feed and controlled-round bolt action rifles and, as I ponder it, every rifle that I use primarily for targets or for varminting (i.e., those rifles that I use as a single-shot) is a push-feed, and I've never had a problem with them. Those rifles I relied upon for deer are controlled-round. For me, it was never an issue of one being more reliable than the other, and I've never had an extraction problem with push-fed cartridges. Without previously expressing a preference, my choices seem to have spoken for themselves.
                  I normally don't load target or varmint rounds from the magazine because a check I made on run-out (i.e., concentricity of loaded rounds) back in the '70s demonstrated some upset of rounds loaded from the magazine; the bullets I used were upset a few thousandths by the nose hitting the feed ramp. I guess it left a lasting impression. For the past 30-something years, if I want optimum accuracy from my bolt rifles, I load by dropping one in front of the bolt and sliding it closed. That favors the push-feed design; controlled feed requires you to pick up the next round from the magazine.
                  The small degree of upset that I measured had no appreciable affect on medium or standard-size cartridges for deer, whether push-fed or controlled-round. I measured no appreciable detriment to accuracy. In other words, as far as I'm concerned, it has less to do with the extractor than the necessity to pick up a round from the magazine, especially if I'm slamming it home (excuse me, operating the action with all deliberate speed) for a quick second shot. I'm probably explaining myself poorly.
                  I own both, trust them implicitly for the purposes I use them, and I wouldn't try to convince anyone to prefer one or the other. In reflecting on the issue, I gave thought to why I've chosen the rifles I own and why. Thank you, Beekeeper!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad