Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What do you think of bullet drop compensator (bdc) reticles on scopes? I got one on a scope and find the reticle is an annoyance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do you think of bullet drop compensator (bdc) reticles on scopes? I got one on a scope and find the reticle is an annoyance

What do you think of bullet drop compensator (bdc) reticles on scopes? I got one on a scope and find the reticle is an annoyance. I kind of feel I got suckered into a gimmick.

I have the Nikon Buckmasters scope with the BDC reticle and it has worked great for me. I made a perfect 260 yard shot on a deer this winter that i could not have made without it. I have shot up to 400 yards at the range with it.

Comment

I have one on a varmint rifle and one on a deer gun. I like them. If I use the recommended loadings they are dead on at the registrated ranges.

Comment

I think they are great as long as you are shooting those kind of distances. If not, they just will prove to be an annoyance. Also you must kno how far the target is in order to line it up correctly. But if you are making those long shots, they will prove to be very helpful and may even be the difference between coming home empty handed or being bale to pack the freezer.

Comment

They are nice for target practice, but when you have an elk on the run a you need to shoot it right away you aren't going to have time to use the bdr. They are useful when the elk doesn't know you are there and you have more time to judge the bullet drop.

Comment

I like the idea, but I probably won't buy one.

Comment

The Leupolds work fine with the appropriate loads but I prefer adjustable turret knobs so I can dial in the distance given to me from my range finder. I have always been concerned that somehow the turrets will not actually be at the range dialed but for several years this has never happened so I suppose it is a non-issue.

Comment

I have a bdc reticle on a Nikon Omega and I like it as long as you use the correct load.

Comment

i love the BDC reticles i have it on 2 of my guns, and they work great.

Comment

I agree with the above comments: the bdc works well if you have the time to dial it in and are shooting the appropriate weight bullet...

Comment

I've never shot a BDC scope but by the looks of the reviews I might consider buying one now.

Comment

I have not taken a shot over 75 yards in the last seven years. The longest shot I've ever taken was 210 yards. I don't see the need for one. This year I told my hunting buddies that I wasn't even going to take my rifle to the land. Bow only all season.

Comment

Most of them work great, you just need to practice, and learn where your load and caliber hit at different yardage. I love the ballistic plex in my Burris Eurodiamond and have a lot more faith and ability in making clean one shot kills at ranges I wouldn't attempt with a normal scope. Once you learn how to use it, they give you actuall aiming points instead of just holding over and guessing. With a rest I have made several 450+yard one shot kills.

Comment

I have a Burris Fullfield with ballistic plex. I like it, it works and its unobtrusive. Using and sighting in loads according to instructions, simple, I've been on target out to 300. Haven't tried further and have heard better check the 400-500 before trusting it.

Comment

I have TDS that worked okay. Simple to use once set up. Practice is the key. Mixing types just adds confusion.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad