Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone have any experience with a .338 Edge and do you feel it has significant advantages over the .338 RUM? I wonder why Remin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone have any experience with a .338 Edge and do you feel it has significant advantages over the .338 RUM? I wonder why Remin

Anyone have any experience with a .338 Edge and do you feel it has significant advantages over the .338 RUM? I wonder why Remington didn't make this cartridge in the first place.

Advantages? Like the .338 Win Mag, the .338 RUM, and the .340 Wby. Mag, it sends medium-heavy bullets at high velocities along pretty flat trajectories on their way to killing the crap out of anything that isn't a Big 5 species.

In other news, who cares? I haven't heard of this cartridge, and I wish I never had to.

Comment

ishawooa

I fired the 338 Win Mags, 340 Weatherby Mags and a 338 Wildcat that sizzled thru my chronograph at 3675ish with a 210 Nosler Partition Mag Ported 26 inch barrel. I have a 338 Win Mag and I’m completely satisfied with it and have no yearnings to go to a larger cartridge. I can confidently hit all the way out to 700 yards and far as I’m concerned it will do a better job than the larger cases because flinch factor etc. The problem I have found with the faster cartridges is the velocity is well above the maximum operation range of the bullet until it’s out around 175+ yards. Anything short of 175 yards, the bullet simply self destructs!

Bottom line, if you can handle the 300 Win Mag and hit long range with a 30-06 with a 165, the 338 Win Mag is the right choice. I rather have a 338 Win Mag rather than a 300 Win Mag!

Comment

Clay apparently your wildcat was something on the order of the Edge considering exterior ballistic performance. The Edge is simply the 7 mm or 300 RUM necked up to .300 rather than the shortened version refered to as the .338 RUM as Remington chose to market. For long range shooters that extra bit of interior room can make life a bit easier insofar as flattening trajectory. Increase in recoil for all those who are constantly whining about it is not noticeably different from a .338 Win to a .340 Wea. Some of the more recently developed bullets, although not totally devoid of the undesirable response of which you spoke, do hold up substancially better than older designs throughout the velocity spectrum. I suppose the Edge is best described as a .338 with a .300 trajectory without requiring a .338-.378 length action. Nice compromise for those you can use it.

Comment

I'll stic to my 338 Win Mag Thank You!

Comment

I'll keep my .338 Win also but a little additional spice is enjoyable. The Edge will probably wind up being my kid's rifle somewhere along the way meanwhile I can have fun with it. Might even make a one shot kill on a good bull one fall day who knows?

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• More on crawfishin' lightfoot lindsey grahm
              by crm3006
              Wow: Lindsey Graham Refuses to Issue Big Tech Subpoenas

Un-be-lievable.

Lindsey Graham swore up and down that he would
              Today, 05:22 PM
            • Reply to Rest Easy
              by FirstBubba
              "... I took your advice and blocked the slimy nine and the red rodent, ..."

Welcome! It's pretty sad to rant and rave on a blog...
              Today, 04:39 PM
            • Rest Easy
              by jhjimbo
              Rest easy 2nd amendment, you are safe now - for the time being....
              Yesterday, 08:55 PM
            • Reply to Rest Easy
              by 99explorer
              Even if the Democrats take the White House and the Senate, it will still take 60 Senate votes to kill the filibuster, because of the filibuster!
              Today, 03:02 PM
            • Reply to Rest Easy
              by jhjimbo
              They know IF Trump wins and holds the Senate and picks up some down ticket it will mean the end of the Dem party for at least ten years if not more....
              Today, 02:39 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
            Working...
            X