Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it true that if you shoot at something too far away from your rifle it will strain the barrel and ruin it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it true that if you shoot at something too far away from your rifle it will strain the barrel and ruin it?

Is it true that if you shoot at something too far away from your rifle it will strain the barrel and ruin it?

I do not think this is true, think about it no matter how far you are shooting the bullet is coming out to the rifle the same velocity. Why would it strain the barrel? This just doesn't make any sense.

Comment

Rifles are people too. Don't push their limits.

Comment

Rifle and bullet combinations do have limits as far as the distance they can actually shoot. This is based on caliber, bullet weight, powder. But the distance someone tries to shoot a rifle does not put excessive strain on the barrel. Overloading cartridges can be dangerous. Factory loads or hand loads loaded correctly are what is meant to be fired through rifle barrels. Shooting at something too far away can't damage you rifle unless you load the round with too much powder (very bad idea) anticipating an overly long shot. Someone may have told you that if you are trying to shoot a 270 1500 yards is straining your rifle may have meant you are trying to get that rifle to do something it can't do accurately.

Comment

This sounds like something my cousin would have told me when I was 4 and believed everything I heard. Seriously though, the barrel doesn't care how far away something is when you shoot at it.

Comment

NO the barrel dos'nt know how far away something is.

Comment

Only in the rarified air of the great American west...
              Ish, you might need to come down off the mountain for a while!

Comment

No

Comment

Makes no difference if the target is 1 foot or 1 mile, the barrel knows any difference!

Ish, You OK? You’re scaring me!!

Comment

You may want to put your barrel strained rifles down for a while for the sake of those around you.

Comment

no

Comment

No

Comment

i don't think this true

Comment

No..

Comment

No!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad