Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone got an opinion one way or the other on cryogentically treated barrels? For example I believe Krieger treats most of thei

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone got an opinion one way or the other on cryogentically treated barrels? For example I believe Krieger treats most of thei

Anyone got an opinion one way or the other on cryogentically treated barrels? For example I believe Krieger treats most of theirs while Shilen will not touch the process.

I truly think it's a crock of s...

Comment

Gary,

I had Ray Smith build a 6mm X284 Win for me on a new Mdl 7 action. The match grade Shilen barrel was treated the gun was very accurate but he blue printed the action, set the trigger to 1 lb and other stuff. So I don't really know if it made any difference. He talked me into a 1 in 12 twist and I should have gotten 1 in 10. It would not stabilize any bullet over 85 gr. That said it was absolutely like hitting a deer with lightning (85 gr part at 3400 fps IMS).

Comment

Del:
        I once bought a custom built rifle on a short M-700 in 6 x .284 which had a Douglas barrel. I never checked the twist but I did have problems seating out the heavier (longer, high BC) bullets as far a I wanted due to the short magazine. I have noticed that many guys nowadays use the long action so they can accomplish having a long bullet almost touch the lands. Either way the rifles are accurate and do indeed kill like lightening even at extended ranges. A neighbor went to Africa 3-4 years ago and only took his 6 x .284 for plains animals. He killed a truck load of animals mostly with one shot. He said the PH laughed when he first saw the cartridge but had a different attitude when the shooting was over. This guy has bumped over a few bull elk with the same rifle although he normally uses a 7 or 300 mag.

Comment

I Don't think its worth the price.Once I clamped down my 25-06 to see how it would group. It held into one ragged hole. But when I held it on the bench the group would open up 50%. Its already more accurate then I am so where's the gain. BTW my best shot is 537yds on a praire dog.

Comment

Ed J my longest p-dawg shot is about like yours. However a friend who is on the Memphis SWAT shot one at just over 1700 yards using a .338 RUM in front of witnesses. He repeated the effort sucessfully at slightly closer ranges because we could not see one any further away. That boy can shoot.
            I remember when my kid was in little league I ordered him a Demarini (sp?) metal alloy bat. They would cryo the bat for another hundred bucks on top of 2 big bills for the bat itself. No thanks I said and his team went on to win the League Championship that summer with most players using that bat.

Comment

how about for shotgun patterns? I know benelli freezes theirs...

Comment

I do know as a barrel [most]heats up the metal will twist and move and change the point of impact. I got my heavy barrel AR15 Cryo'd and can shoot all day and it doesnt change. It does also microscopic change and aline metal and makes a smoother suface ,You can see the differance under a scope.I have a .204 Savage rifle Im going to have cryo'd as the point of impact changes after 20 or so shots,it WILL stablize the metal where it wont change due to the barrel manufacturing proccess stresses introduced . Cryo treatment does work mostly on hammer forged barrels,cut rifling doesnt have the same problem generally.

Comment

Pistolhunter who does the cryoing for you as I don't know anyone locally who performs this work?

Comment

I agree with Jim in MO.

Comment

Agreed with Jim in Mo answer above and A + 1 for you sir!!!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad