Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

yo my dad thinks that i should get a rifle for next season mith the money i have saved up. I have up to 300$ What is a good gun

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• yo my dad thinks that i should get a rifle for next season mith the money i have saved up. I have up to 300$ What is a good gun

yo my dad thinks that i should get a rifle for next season mith the money i have saved up. I have up to 300$ What is a good gun for anything from deer to range shooting. Thanks!

That is a pretty slim budget to say the least. You could get a savage model 111 with a scope for about $350. It is a very utilitarian rifle, and is more accurate than you will ever be. If you could get a little more money, say $450-500, you could get a Remington model 700 SPS with a scope. The best caliber for all around hunting will be the .30-06. Ammo is easy to find, comes in a wide variety, and is relatively inexpensive. For Deer, 150 to 165 grain soft points or fast expanding ballistic tips will do. For elk or black bears, 180 grain Nosler Partitions will do the trick. For Brown Bear or moose, Trophy Bonded Sledgehammers will drop them reliably.

Comment

I would look at www.gunbroker.com. It is a website similar to ebay, but they sell all sorts of guns and accessories. You might be able to pick up a great rifle within your budget. As far as a caliber, I really like a .270. The ammao is extremely cheap to by and comes in a variety of loads, allowing you to use it for hunting a variety of game. Good luck with your search, I hope you find what your looking for!

Comment

they sell some pretty keep savages at gander mt. and dicks

Comment

You probably can find something at gunbroker.com but you need to understand that all firearms bought on there must be shipped to someone with a Federal Firearms Liscence. If you know someone with a gun shop that is a really good option. I bought a Savage at Wal-mart for $325 which was $150 less than what I could have bought it for at Cabela's. The only problem is that all firearms sales are final at Wal-Mart so if something goes wrong with the gun you will have to deal with the manufacturer.

Comment

yo Marlin XL-7 they're $326 for black stock and around $356 for camo stock.

Comment

yo Marlin XL-7 they're $326 for black stock and around $356 for camo stock.

Comment

i think you should save up some more money and get a good reliable .270 winchester

Comment

Remington has their Model 770 that comes in seven calibers with a 3-9x40mm scope for around $400.

Comment

I got the same problem i only got like 300-450$ and need a new rifle and cant figure out what would be the best one for me i was kinda thinking bout a remington 770 bolt action there like $400 and come with a boresighted scope but i was also thinkin bout a marlin 336 30-30 cuz i dont hunt at very far ranges so idk what would be the best so if u find out can u tell me plz

Comment

A chinese Ak-47 could be had for around that. With some practise it is very accurate out to 100 yds with the open sights. It doesn't kick hard. Perfect for whitetail. I've killed several deer with one. And there fun to shoot. Put a 30 round clip in it and pull the trigger! Talk about fun. Kinda like 4th of July!

Comment

From your name I take it you hunt in PA. I have hunted for deer in PA for over 20 years. For a new gun, get the Marlin XL-7 in .270 or .30-06.

For used guns you should consider a Remington 760 or 7600 pump in (.30-06); or the Marlin 336 in .35 Rem. With a $350 budget you will be able to find one of these models that include a scope.

Also do a search on this site for recommendations by Dave Petzel for used deer rifles such as the following great article:

http://www.fieldandstream.com/articles/guns/shotguns/shotgun-reviews/2005/11/ten-best-used-deer-guns-and-how-buy-them

Comment

30.06 will bring down any game animal in North America. F & S, posted an article I believe in the Dec issue where one of their writers brought his 30.06 to Africa and did very well there and harvested rather large game. It all depends on the ammo at that point, which with this caliber round there are more available in more places.

Also, Marlin came out with a new synthetic stock 30.06, Model XL-7 under $400; I purchased it and was able to hit two button bucks at 120-130 yrds

Comment

I'm partial to The Marlin 336 myself. It's a good reliable gun, great for still hunting and you can find them cheap also. I just bought a brand new one last year with a scope for $310.

Comment

.308 Winchester great deer gun and elk gun

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad