Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If you had a historic combat rifle that was in good shape except for its bluing (poorly applied in the first place as the Reich

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rudyglove27
    replied
    Leave it alone!

Leave a comment:

• hunt_fish_sleep
    replied
    A reich gun huh? I imagine that your kraut banger is a Kar98? Regardless of model, historic firearms are always worth more when things are original. While it may not look as good as a nice slick new bluing job, the old bluing is more valuable.

Leave a comment:

• Sportsman Matt
    replied
    I wouldn't reblue unless absolutely necessary. I've got an old Winchester 1887 Lever Action Shotgun, Under the wood is a nice and dark (almost black) bluing. The rest of the gun has become a beautiful brown patina color, from so many years of use. I use that same gun everyday, and had offers of up to $1500 for it, because it's been well taken care of and the action is tight. But I'm not selling it, as it was passd down to me from my father, who received it from my grandfather, who received it from my great grandfather who bought it from Winchester in New Haven CT back in 1893. So the historical value to me is priceless.

Leave a comment:

• hjohn429
    replied
    My dad put a Williams FP on his yugo Mauser chambered in 308.

Leave a comment:

• hjohn429
    replied
    my dad's M1 Garand has never been refinished, we just keep it oiled. On the other hand, his friend has a Garand that has been ra-chambered for 308 Winchester and it shoots 1/3 inch 5-shot groups at 100 yards!

Leave a comment:

• texasfirst
    replied
    Not a worry on the cost of bluing exceeding value of rifle here. It's not a Mauser, but I ain't saying anything beyond that.

Leave a comment:

• ishawooa
    replied
    Christian please note that I refered only to my personal old military rifles which happen to exclude any valued at more than a couple hundred. Anyone offering a grand for a mint Arasaki since I need the cash for my RBL 20? Also please bear in mind that a good bluing job might cost as much as the rifle's value. Even if I had a mint Mississippi rifle I still would not rework it.

Leave a comment:

• FloridaHunter1226
    replied
    It really depends on their use now. If you use them in the field and on regular occasion... i would have them re-blued but if they are only for decoration and a "wall-hanger" i would just leave them the way that they are.

Leave a comment:

• streack
    replied
    If the gun is going to be queen of the safe, then leave the finish as is. However, if you plan on using it to hunt with I would get it reblued to help it withstand the elements better.

Leave a comment:

• Edward J. Palumbo
    replied
    I wouldn't reblue it unless I was having other work done on it. One of my Mausers had the original 29.1 inch barrel, which never seemed "natural to me, so I had it shortened - the barrel was cut to 24 inches and recrowned. Of course, the front sight had to be replaced, so I chose one I preferred and, as long as I was addressing other priorities, had the piece reblued. I'm not concerned about collector value; it shoots very well in my hands and it has earned its keep.
    Briefly, if it bothers you or negatively affects your shooting satisfaction or pride of ownership, then reblue it. If not, I wouldn't worry about it.

Leave a comment:

• CPT BRAD
    replied
    Don't reblue it. It will ruin the collectors value of it. Whether you plan on selling it or not it will eventually pass to someone else, they'll appreciate the worn well used rifle more than a reblue job that won't improve the looks that much anyway.

Leave a comment:

• teufelhunden
    replied
    I would reblue it. Of course I am partial to keeping my rifles and rarely consider resale value. I had a German mauser reblued back in the 80's because I would clean it at night and when the sun came up over my hill country stand it would have a light coat of rust. I constantly wanted to take it apart and clean it in the stand.

It took me a while to find a good gunsmith that would do it. It also was pretty pricey, but it was worth it because the rifle looks great. I would not recommend trying to reblue it yourself with one of those kits.

Leave a comment:

• texasfirst
    replied
    I was going to take it on "Antiques Roadshow." Ha. Just kidding. Good answers though. Anybody actually a proponent for bluing it?

Leave a comment:

• kolbster
    replied
    it just depends on what your going to do with the gun.

Leave a comment:

• Beekeeper
    replied
    Tex,

The real German made Mauser battle rifles are getting to be rather pricey. The yugo made stuff is still relatively cheap. I'd keep the German rifle it as is.

Leave a comment:

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad