Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My Savage .270 WSM seems to shoot ballistic silvertip ammo the best, how come the WSM's in .270 & .300 are so expensive?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Savage .270 WSM seems to shoot ballistic silvertip ammo the best, how come the WSM's in .270 & .300 are so expensive?

My Savage .270 WSM seems to shoot ballistic silvertip ammo the best, how come the WSM's in .270 & .300 are so expensive?

Winchester Short Mags are the spin off from the 22PPC, I call them fad cartridges and because they are new and more of a special production due to limited quantity being sold and like I said they are more of a “FAD” than any other. If you like short fat cartridges, shorter action and pay a higher price go for it. I’ll stick to my 25-06 over and will put it up against any 257WSSM!

Bottom line, what are you really achieving besides reduced magazine capacity!

Comment

The new thing and folks just have to have them. Thus supply and demand...

Comment

I won it in a coservation club gun raffle. I'd even take a BB gun if I won it in a raffle. It's not like I bought it myself for a deer gun. I was just wondering what I was paying extra for, more metal in the casing, more expensive bullet metals, more powder???? It's a super accurate rifle, too bad I can't hunt locally with it. We have a shotgun/rifle line and I have to go north a ways to use it.

Comment

If you're talking Winchester Supreme with nickel plated brass and coated bullets, the .300 WSM are the same price as .300 Win Mag.

Price differences are likely attributed to economies of scale associated with the components and manufacturing, and also marketing of a "premium" product.

Basically, 1.) High volume components and assemblies are cheaper than low volume due to lower costs associated with bulk purchases, bulk shipping, and fewer tooling changes and other associated activities.

2. Nickel plated brass is inherently more expensive to manufacture than regular brass and is run in smaller batches. Same with coated, tipped, high-precision bullets.

2.) Marketing of "Supreme" ammo sets a higher price expectation. Typically, newer products can be priced higher than older products (life cycle). Marketing costs might be higher. There might also be more resistance to lowering prices on "premium" products, especially if there is no direct competition.

Hope that helps.

Comment

wallofsam - you must be from lower Michigan. The .270 WSM is a nice cartridge, basically a short action .270 Win. And a shooter, too! Should be excellent for Michigan whitetail. I hope you get the chance to use it this year - if you haven't experienced it, deer hunting in northern Michigan during rifle season is a trip.

Might consider reloading to reduce costs - could find a cheaper bullet that is just as accurate. If you don't think you'll use it, then you might consider donating the gun back to the organization, with a tax deduction. RGS, SCI, etc. banquet seasons are here and they can use the merchandise to generate more conservation dollars. I have a soft spot for RGS.

Comment

you could trade it in for a conventional caliber like a .270 or 30-o6. Both have a wider variety of loads available for reasonable price and you give up little if anything ballistically. Just a slightly longer action

Comment

MLH- I muzzleloaded the U.P. this year and tagged a decent 9pt., I think I will keep it being I don't own another rifle. Eventually I would like to go elk or mulie hunting and think this would be a suitable gun. But what is RGS and SCI? I thank everybody for their input!

Comment

wallofsam - 9 pointer in da UP? I am jealous! Keep putting in for a MI elk tag - I drew and filled one this past season. Worth the wait.

RGS is the Ruffed Grouse Society. SCI is Safari Club International. Along with local chapters of Pheasants Forever, Ducks Unlimited, Trout Unlimited, etc., they hold yearly banquets to raise funds for conservation and other activities. Lots of raffles, drawings, and auctions of merchandise. They're a lot of fun. Check out their websites and look for local chapter activities. Always looking for new members and volunteers.

Comment

I also shoot a .270 WSM and rue the high price of the ammunition. I've started reloading, and quality handloads comparable to the Winchester Supremes cost me $13.80 per box of 20. That's $25.20 less than a box of Winchester Supreme Ballistic Silvertips. If you shoot a lot, you could probably justify buying reloading supplies, especially if you could use a friend's press.

Comment

I agree with Clay, but I do love my 300wsm. I reload for everything I shoot and the 300wsm is the only thing that isn't regular calibers.

Comment

Agreed with MLH answer above and A + 1 for you sir!!!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad